Hops growing in a fence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas217

Reaction score
These pictures are of an unknown variety of hops that have completely buried a 20 foot section of fence at the bottom of my yard. They spread from my neighbor's yard. He planted them because he thought they would look great in his garden. They are not Japanese ornamental hops because they propagate by rhizomes and produce full cones. I've used them in a few batches and I think they are EKG :ban:
100_5933.jpg
100_5934.jpg
100_5935.jpg

Keep going, if he doesn't care then have at it!! If he's unsure of the variety, there's not going to be much you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The fence is completely on my property so I guess that makes them mine :D and besides he moved away.

Nice! This is sort of why I planted hops - they keep the weeds from my neighbor's yard from spreading into my yard.

Nice! This is sort of why I planted hops - they keep the weeds from my neighbor's yard from spreading into my yard.

I like this idea of hops being used to control weeds coming from neighbours yards. Think I might have to implement this to try and control the wisteria invading from next door. With any luck it will increase my hop yields too :)

Brew a SMASH beer with the hop, a pale ale or something with little malt, but way overhop it. Take pictures of the ripe hops. Between the flavors and the picture, when you compare it to a hop guide: http://www.usahops.org/graphics/File/HGA BCI Reports/Variety Manual 7-24-12.pdf you can get pretty close, if not the exact hop.

Then, buy a commercial version of the hop you think it might be, that can confirm it.

Thank you for the advice Cyclman. I've brewed a few batches with them but not not a SMASH and I did not over hop. I'll do a pale ale with mostly late additions and lots of dry hopping. Thank you also for sharing the hop guide. The cones are coming along nicely. Some are nearing maturity. I'll be posting pictures of them soon.

Here are pics of cones and leaves. I'm thinking from the shape of the cones that they are Fuggles. I'm basing that on pictures form the hop guide Cyclman shared. Does anyone else have any suggestions? They tasted British when I used them.

Edit -- Unfortunately the pictures of the leaves ended up being zoomed in too much when I shared them. Most of the leaves are 3 lobed with a few 5 lobed mixed in.

100_5946.jpg
100_5947.jpg
100_5948.jpg

Back