Hops Going Bad???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kempbartlett

Reaction score
I bought some hops(whole bud, not pelleted) last year and accidentally left them out night. The next day when i was brewing i decided to play it safe rather than sorry and went out and bought new hops to use. Since that day i immediately put the hops in the fridge where they have stayed for the year. Due to a completely random closing of all three local home brewer shops in my area. i am actually now in need of those hops ( they happen to be the right type ). it is for a Belgian Wit so certainly not a heavy hopped beer. Hallertua for full 60 minute boil. So my questions are 1. will that one overnight of non refrigeration spoil the hops? And 2. if not, will they have been okay in the fridge for a year? ( i do not see an expiration date anywhere on the package)
Thanks in advance!

Kemp

One night unrefrigerated isn't going to be a problem. They're still in the original sealed package, right? The bigger issue is keeping them in the fridge. Hops should be kept in a freezer to preserve the volatile aroma and flavor compounds as well as preserve the alpha acid level. I would expect that you will get less bitterness than you should out of the hops, and possibly a little less aroma and flavor.

yup still in sealed original packaging. hmmmm really? Well damn i always though they were supposed to be refrigerated not frozen. yeast is refrigerated not frozen right :p haha.

yup still in sealed original packaging. hmmmm really? Well damn i always though they were supposed to be refrigerated not frozen. yeast is refrigerated not frozen right :p haha.

Actually, you can freeze dry yeast.

Smell the hops. If they still smell good, I'd use them. If they are still in the original, sealed package, you are fine. Just store them in the freezer next time.

One night at room temps should not ruin hops in any form.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back