Hops From Boil, Good?, Bad?, Ugly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyGerman

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale cultured
Yeast Starter: one bottle of slurry
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0 - 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.10
Final Gravity: ?
IBU: ??
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: ??
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3-7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Munich
3lb Briess Light DME
3lb Coppers Light DME
4lb Muttons light DME
SNPA yeast First run
1. oz Warrior pellet (17.2%) 60min
2oz Cascade pellet (5.9%) 45min
1.5oz Cascade pellet (5.9%) 30min
1.5oz Cascade pellet (5.9%) 15min

I assume that most people filter the hops out of the wort. Why don’t people leave the hops in the primary fermentor straight from the boil?

I get the Idea of decaying plant matter but you dry hop for a week …if not more usually. I usually only keep it in a primary fermentor for a week then a secondary and maybe a third if I want to dry hop. For a week or less so I can’t imagine I would have any real off flavors, but I’m a newbie to this. Also does it change IBUs? I would think aroma …but not IBUs if it’s not boiled.

Also i'm not completely sure about the IBU's cause i only boil 2.5 gallons, one caculator i had said 26 IBUs? and it dont smell that way if i had to guesss this was goning be much higher, or atleast thats what i was shooting for .

Meh, you don't really need to filter out the hops. It might make things a bit easier down the line. I don't think most people actually filterthe hops out. Most people will siphon off the wort in order to leave behind most of the various junk that's left behind from the boil, which includes the hops.

To my knowledge, this is done mostly for clarity and just not having stuff in the fermenter that doesn't need to be there. I think the general consensus is that the leaving the trub in really won't affect the taste of the beer. There are people here who just dump the whole thing into the bucket.

Yeah I found a few other threads with the same question they said the same thing about clarity and chance of off flavors. my only real issue then is the IBUs I guess less water used = less hops Utilization. I'll tell ya it smelled good! I passed it to the secondary yesterday. original gravity 1.10 ending gravity 1.01......does that even sound right I mean I guess because when I took a sip, it did have a slight burn. I just can’t believe that beer yeast could get that high. on the other hand I am using one I cultured from Sierra Nevada. I probably messed up taking OG Oh well thanks for confirming my hunch I 'm keeping the hops in next time as well :)

I've done it both ways. It doesn't seem to change the IBUs or flavor in any noticable way to leave them in.
I now bag my hops because I harvest the yeast and it does make it easier to clean the yeast that way.

Personal choice is what it boils done to.

Back