Hops for piney resinous oily aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdebonth

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for a very specific type of hop aroma - that really clean almost oily pine-resin aroma. Can anyone guide me to which hops provide this? I am aware of a number of hops in the pine/resin category, does anyone know these hops well enough to provide a further level of aroma breakdown?

My recommendation would be Newport or Southern Cross and between the two Southern Cross is "cleaner" aromawise but I think kind of hard to find.

I like Simcoe. Great pine resin flavours. Use both pellet and whole leaf if you have the option so you get the best of both worlds. Multiple additions of pellets mixed with a finish and/or dryhopping with the whole leaf produces fantastic flavour. Simcoe generally has a lower beta compared to its relatively high Alpha which contributes to a really nice smooth bittering. Extremely desirable for most of my ales. But when used for flavouring and aroma you get those beautiful woodsy pine notes with that oily resin quality you want as well. SmASh IPA's are GREAT with simcoe. I also like doing things with say a 1:1 ratio of Simcoe and Amarillo for a mix of citrus and pine. Or a 1:3 mix of Simcoe and Crystal for Pine and Floral. Simcoe is great everywhere.

HopsWheel.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should be looking in the evergreen category in the above wheel.

I know simcoe quite well and I am not sure this is providing what I am looking for. I find it a bit too musky and murky (not clean and fresh enough) although I appreciate it is an excellent hop and as mentioned very versatile.

Chinook and southern cross look very promising and will be the first hops I will explore...

Back