Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd bet the 22 oz pounds from Hops Direct are a thing of the past. Received three pounds last week. Package included, each weighed 17 to 17.5 oz. Good price, though, prompt, shipping was actual UPS cost.

Update on Perle leaf hop purchase:

My package was about 1lb 7oz, including the bag. All weighed out, I ended up with about 19 ounces of German Perle hops. Thank god I have a vacuum sealer! Buck-Forty an ounce, including shipping!

SWMBO came downstairs, unaware that I had upgraded my "hobby" to wholesale, and thought I was weighing out pot (I'm not a user). She's 9 months pregnant. I explained to her, "It's not grass! It's hops!" Eye rolling ensued. :rolleyes:

Update on Perle leaf hop purchase:

My package was about 1lb 7oz, including the bag. All weighed out, I ended up with about 19 ounces of German Perle hops. Thank god I have a vacuum sealer! Buck-Forty an ounce, including shipping!

SWMBO came downstairs, unaware that I had upgraded my "hobby" to wholesale, and thought I was weighing out pot (I'm not a user). She's 9 months pregnant. I explained to her, "It's not grass! It's hops!" Eye rolling ensued. :rolleyes:

BWAAAHAAAHAAA!!! Just wait until the neighbors start asking her about your meth manufacturing. Dude, your days are numbered. ;)

Another plug for Hops Direct. I just got my order. 1# of US Golding was 2.5oz over and 1# of Vanguard was 3.25oz over! I will be ordering all my hops from them from now on :D

I use Puterbaugh Farms (HopsDirect) & Niko for the vast majority of my hops. Very pleased with pricing & service from both. Montanaandy

So I just did my first order...

1# each of cascade, chinook, amarillo, williamette

How do the hops come? In a cold box? I just ordered group shipping and have an estimated delivery of the 4th of march...which is like 7 days away. I'm a pretty Laissez-faire type of guy about everything...And it probably would be best to call them up and ask but i am also a lazy kind of guy too.

I have 4 pounds but I plan on making at least at first a pure IPA of each individual hop and will probably end up using at least 5-6 oz of each immediately. The question is...what is the best way to store the rest? Are they going to go bad if I don't vacuum seal them? I figure its going to take at least 6 months to go through 4 pounds of hops.... also they aren't going to go bad in transit for 7 days are they?

I've only ever bought hops from the LHBS and wow I'm so excited to be saving money now... I also ordered a 50lb bag of malt at about 2.90$/lb instead of my LHBS price of 4.10$.lb. It doesn't sound like a lot but I figure I'm knocking 12-15$ off each brew I do. And the 50lb bag of malt alone is saving me about 90$ which equals almost 4 brews for free basically over shopping at my LHBS.

I purchased 3-1lb bags (cascade, centennial,kentgoldings). Each bag had 18-20 oz total. You can't beat that with a stick...Thanks hopsdirect.com!

I just placed my first order with them for 3lbs. The UPS tracking says the package is 6lbs. Either they use a crazy amount of packing or I have some extra's like the people above.

I live in Wa, I order from Hops Direct, they are the friendliest people out there. I was in Yakima and stopped buy to buy some they didn't have anyone to fill my order 10# worth so they shipped it to me for free !

funny thing is when I got my first multi pound order a friend came over the next day. He sees on my table a scale and a bunch of hop leaves everywhere. He asks, so you sell pot? I reply no but you can give me money for that beer you are drinking ;)

Big ATTABOY for Hops Direct. I just opened my first order of 8 pounds of mixed varieties. Had to call them since they short shipped a pound of Centennial. Super nice, no drama, They apologized and said they get it out today. GREAT CS.

Then...I weighed the packs (all about 10% over) and, as I figure it, my hop costs for the next 6-8 months are about $0.87/ oz.... including shipping coast to coast....using UPS 3 day select!

These folks are Outstanding!

Big ATTABOY for Hops Direct. I just opened my first order of 8 pounds of mixed varieties. Had to call them since they short shipped a pound of Centennial. Super nice, no drama, They apologized and said they get it out today. GREAT CS.

Then...I weighed the packs (all about 10% over) and, as I figure it, my hop costs for the next 6-8 months are about $0.87/ oz.... including shipping coast to coast....using UPS 3 day select!

These folks are Outstanding!

Hops Direct: home of the 19 ounce pound.:rockin:

Hops Direct is my only source for hops! I re-bag in 2oz packages and freeze. After two years of ordering, I have nearly every hop variety I need for any beer I might want to brew.

Always prompt, good communications, excellent quality and a fair price!!

Just made my first hops direct order. 1 lb of chinook, columbus, centennial and magnum (all hops I use regularly)--as said above, with shipping comes out to like $.87 per oz, not even taking 19 oz lbs into account.

What I'm curious about though is how long pellets stay fresh as long as I keep them in my freezer? Not that I don't plan on using these guys, but I'd hope they'd keep a few months anyway.

pellets will last a lot longer than the whole leaf hops. as long as they are sealed up they will last over a year with little AA degradation. the best storage is pellets in a glass jar in the freezer/

I have a good bit of 2008 hops that are vacuum sealed in my deep freezer and they still smell great and work well. I just use BeerSmith to account for AA% losses which are minimal.

Probably order some new hops to replace these this month, but more because I got my money's worth out of them for sure. I know my first order from hops direct was great. After I used my first pound of hops I still had more hops left than I had ordered!

Or try farmhousebrewingsupply.com

While I order frequently from Hops Direct (leaf in particular + some pellet) I have ordered a fair amount of pellet recently from Farmhouse. Great prices and I like the fact that the hops are broken down into 4 oz mylar bags.

Back