Hops Direct / old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I believe this at face value...

Our pellets are available in various unit sizes, packaged in (4.2m) multi-layered, high-barrier, soft pack mylar bags and vacuum sealed with a nitrogen flush. Pellets are stored in our cold storages here on our farm until delivery straight to you.

...it implies about the best storage protocol one could hope for. And I have been brewing with 2020 hop pellets from YVH that I have kept frozen in their original mylar bags and honestly they have lost so little character over three years I haven't increased the amounts in my recipes at all.

Now, I wouldn't waste even cheap money on a "meh" hop like Belma but if one wanted some C hops on the cheap it might be worth a try - unless they're punitive with the shipping cost...

Cheers!

Last year I stocked up on 2021 Crystal hops from YVH because they were (I think) about $5/lb. I still have a lot and they're just fine, not cheesy/stinky, even after the bag is opened and hops are in a zippie in the freezer. YMMV but if the hops were good in the crop year they were packaged, they'll be good for quite a long time.

Its a good deal assuming you order enough to counteract shipping costs. Hops Direct has great lots even those that are several years old. Agree w/ Day_trippr to not waste your time w/ Belma.

Latest posts

Back