Hops Direct just put up 2012 Crop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2012 Imported Hops will be available in January I believe.

Mosaic, Meridian? Citra on steroids? How could it possibly have more fruit descriptors than Citra: "a very fruity citrus, peach, apricot, passion fruit, grapefruit, lime, melon, gooseberry, lychee fruit, pineapple, mango, and papaya, along with other..."

I remember trying a Citra IPA before it was really on the homebrewing radar and thinking how objectionable it was. Now it sells out faster than LMFAO tickets. Go firgure!

The 2012 Imported Hops will be available in January I believe.

Mosaic, Meridian? Citra on steroids? How could it possibly have more fruit descriptors than Citra: "a very fruity citrus, peach, apricot, passion fruit, grapefruit, lime, melon, gooseberry, lychee fruit, pineapple, mango, and papaya, along with other..."

I remember trying a Citra IPA before it was really on the homebrewing radar and thinking how objectionable it was. Now it sells out faster than LMFAO tickets. Go firgure!

Yeah, hop popularity certainly can be a fickle thing.

I read an article recently that detailed how Simcoe was basically going to be phased out by the patent owners because they didn't believe that there was a market for it - that was until Vinnie C @ Russian River developed Pliny The Elder which used Simcoe in large measure and the IIPA craze took off. Now, trying to get Simcoe is like trying to get gasoline in the Mad Max movies :)

34pnknr.jpg

There is no middle finger big enough.

34pnknr.jpg

There is no middle finger big enough.

That sucks.

I believe that the solution is that we shift our focus as brewers to all of the other great hops that are out there and which are readily available. There are many really great alternatives to the Big 3 - numerous Aussie hops, numerous NZ hops, great hops designed to bridge the shortage such as Falconers Flight, Falconers 7C's, Zythos, tried and true greats such as Centennial, Columbus, Cascade, etc. We have been through hop shortages before and we will experience them again. The key is to adapt and to thrive.

No offense, but why whine because you didn't plan to be fast enough?

I have never bought hops online until this year, and planned to pay attention to what was going on with HD's release. I knew from looking online people were stalking the site, and knew that from noon until 5, was "go time".

If you didn't make an account with HD and have it all saved, other than adding your CC number, then thats no ones fault. The staggered release does suck, don't get me wrong, but if you really want the hops then you'll eat the shipping price in the total cost. It's not HD's fault that they didn't get enough of the hops in. They have little control over that, and the demand this year for those hops.

Throw the middle finger up, I got a pound of Citra, and 2 pounds of Amarillo coming next week. I planned for it, and had some goodwill from my buddy who placed an order and knew I would love the extra Amarillo.

If you want these hops just wait, we have one vendor here that is just waiting to put these hops up for sale at $40 per lb.

No offense, but why whine because you didn't plan to be fast enough?

I have never bought hops online until this year, and planned to pay attention to what was going on with HD's release. I knew from looking online people were stalking the site, and knew that from noon until 5, was "go time".

If you didn't make an account with HD and have it all saved, other than adding your CC number, then thats no ones fault. The staggered release does suck, don't get me wrong, but if you really want the hops then you'll eat the shipping price in the total cost. It's not HD's fault that they didn't get enough of the hops in. They have little control over that, and the demand this year for those hops.

Throw the middle finger up, I got a pound of Citra, and 2 pounds of Amarillo coming next week. I planned for it, and had some goodwill from my buddy who placed an order and knew I would love the extra Amarillo.

No offense, but when did purchasing hops morph into the equivalent of getting concert tickets? You talk about "people stalking the site" and "go time". Seriously?

Unlike you, I have been purchasing hops for years online and I have never experienced the "hoarding mentality" that we are seeing this year which you exemplify. Even in the years of the dire hop shortages I have never seen anything like this.

Frankly, to have a buddy place an order for you so that you can skirt the limitations that HD put into place so that everyone can get their fair share of scarce hop really sucks.

No offense, but when did purchasing hops morph into the equivalent of getting concert tickets? You talk about "people stalking the site" and "go time". Seriously?

Unlike you, I have been purchasing hops for years online and I have never experienced the "hoarding mentality" that we are seeing this year which you exemplify. Even in the years of the dire hop shortages I have never seen anything like this.

Frankly, to have a buddy place an order for you so that you can skirt the limitations that HD put into place so that everyone can get their fair share of scarce hop really sucks.

Just another sign this hobby has gone hipster. Controlled hop releases that sell out in minutes, NHC that sells out in a couple days (even though dozens/hundreds later sold their tickets), etc....

Stalking? Go read their facebook and their twitter, or better yet, go look at other beer/homebrew sites and see the sheer amount of people who were looking forward to the release. People even here were talking about refreshing their browser waiting for them to release.

And to have a buddy place an order? He knows I love Amarillo. I have a "house" IPA that I brew thats mostly Amarillo. He ordered it because he could, and did so for me. He wanted some Chinook and Belma, and Amarillo was up still. Hoarding? So buying in bulk once a year is hoarding all of a sudden when you get nothing?

You sound the like rest of the bitter babies who missed out.. It's in high demand, and supply can't keep up.. Get over it!

Just another sign this hobby has gone hipster. Controlled hop releases that sell out in minutes, NHC that sells out in a couple days (even though dozens/hundreds later sold their tickets), etc....

Don't forget people selling their GABF tickets to random people despite having the credentials for the special days/meetings!

Stalking? Go read their facebook and their twitter, or better yet, go look at other beer/homebrew sites and see the sheer amount of people who were looking forward to the release. People even here were talking about refreshing their browser waiting for them to release.

And to have a buddy place an order? He knows I love Amarillo. I have a "house" IPA that I brew thats mostly Amarillo. He ordered it because he could, and did so for me. He wanted some Chinook and Belma, and Amarillo was up still. Hoarding? So buying in bulk once a year is hoarding all of a sudden when you get nothing?

You sound the like rest of the bitter babies who missed out.. It's in high demand, and supply can't keep up.. Get over it!

You obviously don't "get it" based on your twisted response.

1st off - I do indeed "get it" - I am well aware of the shortage of the Big 3 because of the contracts that micros have - first in line and the remainder to homebrewers which is very little. This is why what little remains needs to be made available to as many brewers as possible.

2nd, nice try at justifying your hoarding ("House IPA"- please) but it is hoarding plain and simple. HD limits purchases to 1 lb per person/order specifically so more brewers have access to scarce hops - otherwise people would purchase multiple lbs and deplete the supply, thus the limits. Why do you think the limits are in place? Your end around this via a friend purchasing scarce hops that he will in turn sell/give to you does not justify this practice. It is still hoarding.

In terms of being a "bitter baby" - I have access to 40lb+ contract bricks of the Big 3 via local micro contracts so I have not "missed out" on anything. I was merely commenting on what I view as a degeneration of the homebrew community where individuals such as yourself game the system in order to stockpile the hops that are scarce/popular while depriving other brewers.

These hop shortages are cyclical and this is a temporary situation. There will be a ton of the Big 3 available in another year but the irony is that there will be newer cultivars on the scene that will take the brewing world by storm and there will be shortages and we will be repeating this scenario once again...

Ohhhhh.. so now your not upset, because you have access to contract bricks, thats understandable. How awesome you are!

I appreciate the thinly veiled attack.. I'll keep "hoarding", while others keep crying then!

You are spot on (although I don't know if I would term things going "hipster" - more like going corporate/mainstream) The GABF ticket snafu was a big topic of discussion among those in the brewing world when I was attending the 2012 GABF.

The fact of the matter is that this little hobby of our has become very popular + big business in the span of a few years...

You are spot on (although I don't know if I would term things going "hipster" - more like going corporate/mainstream) The GABF ticket snafu was a big topic of discussion among those in the brewing world when I was attending the 2012 GABF.

The fact of the matter is that this little hobby of our has become very popular + big business in the span of a few years...

Yeah, it all just feeds into that "must have now" mentality. Similar to iPhone mania.

I plan my brews well enough ahead that I haven't been affected by what appears to be a perennial hop shortage. If I can't get a hop, I'm not gonna fret it. I buy in bulk when it works, but I'm not sitting on line refreshing some web page every ten seconds so I can get in on some deal like a stock day trader. It's fecking homebrew. If I can't get amarillo, I'll use something else or brew something else.

I'm more pissed when commercial breweries substitute hops but still package and sell under the same name.

I won't support the hype. For instance when NHC sold ~80% of their tickets in one day I just decided I wouldn't go. I wasn't in a position to plan a multi thousand dollar trip on such short notice. I refuse to play the "buy now or you'll never get it" games. Hell, how many threads were on here days before NHC trying to off load tickets because too many people panic bought. Lame.

I'm sure 2012 amarillo will be around again. Maybe not from hops direct, and maybe a hit more $$. But I won't support the stupid hype.

That's kind of lame of people are hoarding these hops - I generally will just brew with what's available that year when I log on- for instance last year it was cascade (underrated btw), super galena & us tettnanger - filled any style, any country.

This year it was belma and fuggles still have galena left over

It makes it interesting year to year. I've used Amarillo and it didn't much more than cascade in my pale ales.

cascade (underrated btw)

Erm, I don't think cascades qualify as an under-rated hop. I mean, how many breweries have a flagship pale ale in the SNPA vein (ie: all cascade, all the time)?

I do agree a lot of people probably over-react a bit on hops like Amarillo, especially with Cascade and Centennial still available in this case. I know more than a few people who swear by hops like Amarillo but probably wouldn't notice a substitution for another "super-cascade" type hop. Unique hops like Citra I understand a bit more though. Also, might I just add it's incredibly frustrating when you're working towards going pro and you have to constantly deal with an inability to get certain hops. Makes recipe formulation an incredible hassle. Has it's benefits mind you as a learning experience, but still.

It will be interesting to see where things are at in a few years from now and whether the IIPA craze continues. Will brewers keep ratcheting things up with the new, often more intense hops that are on the horizon and will the public still be interested or will there be palate fatigue?

At 2012 GABF, the sours and barrel aged beers were all the rage among attendees and as we know that style is influenced by yeast cultures (brett, lacto, etc.), fermentation (wine barrel, bourbon barrel, etc.) and not hops. Cambridge, Crooked Stave, Funkwerks were where a lot of the action was at this year. They are all producing some amazing beer.

Crustovsky said:
Erm, I don't think cascades qualify as an under-rated hop. I mean, how many breweries have a flagship pale ale in the SNPA vein (ie: all cascade, all the time)?

I do agree a lot of people probably over-react a bit on hops like Amarillo, especially with Cascade and Centennial still available in this case. I know more than a few people who swear by hops like Amarillo but probably wouldn't notice a substitution for another "super-cascade" type hop. Unique hops like Citra I understand a bit more though. Also, might I just add it's incredibly frustrating when you're working towards going pro and you have to constantly deal with an inability to get certain hops. Makes recipe formulation an incredible hassle. Has it's benefits mind you as a learning experience, but still.

I guess I should have said underutilized in homebrewing as you duly pointed out.

as a homebrewer that has no interest in going pro I love to tweak recipes based on available materials - harks a little bit more to olden days. If EKG had a bad year but fuggles did really well they'd shift recipes check out http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com

I have to laugh at the hoarding. If i recall correctly there were several ads on here even with people selling 10+ lbs of simcoe for about 25bucks plus shipping around august and september. How do you accidentally buy an extra 10+ pounds?

And then why do people buy them at high prices at 10 months old whrn the alpha acids are compromised?

Supply and demand is a crazy game.

I find it funny that everyone is going nuts over 2 hops that really only can be used in IPAs. I have smelled and felt whole leaf citra ans wasnt very impressed, it wasnt bad just kind meh. I guess it has to do with people trying to make hoppier and hoppier IPAs. I cant wait for this trend to die, IPAs really arent that good of a beer, They have an extremely bitter taste that covers up what could be good malt and roasty flavors. Maybe its just me but even if it has a nice perfume, the tounge numbing bitterness is a let down.It is just a fad and this too will pass hopefully.

MY 2c on it, if you missed out on citra and ammarillo oh well, your not missing out on much but an over hopped ipa, the same kind every "craft" brewer is churning out to please the masses that "love" that hop flavor.

I find it funny that everyone is going nuts over 2 hops that really only can be used in IPAs. I have smelled and felt whole leaf citra ans wasnt very impressed, it wasnt bad just kind meh. I guess it has to do with people trying to make hoppier and hoppier IPAs. I cant wait for this trend to die, IPAs really arent that good of a beer, They have an extremely bitter taste that covers up what could be good malt and roasty flavors. Maybe its just me but even if it has a nice perfume, the tounge numbing bitterness is a let down.It is just a fad and this too will pass hopefully.

MY 2c on it, if you missed out on citra and ammarillo oh well, your not missing out on much but an over hopped ipa, the same kind every "craft" brewer is churning out to please the masses that "love" that hop flavor.

Says the guy with only mead on tap. :eek:

I kid! I kid!

Says the guy with only mead on tap. :eek:

I kid! I kid!

I didnt update yet but last night, I knocked togather what was supposed to be an irish red, but it came out deep brown, I think the recipie I poached from beersmith was a bunch of ca-ca. Tasted good though for unfermented wort.

I'm knocking togather a braggot or graff tonight [prolly graff if i can decide between brambling cross or cascade].

I brew in samll batches so its hard to keep updated as I can brew 1-3 times a week depending on time

btw mead tastes better on most days :mug:

IPAs are just a gateway to appreciating the more subtle styles and flavors of beer. Most people are enticed by the citrus and tropical flavors of new wave IPAs but at some point you get bored with those flavors luckily there are porters, stouts, milds, lagers, etc

I went full circle and got back into IPAs a few years back but unless the beer is a seasonal or at a brewpub or clearly marked fresh I'm not paying $15 no matter how hyped it is.

huntingohio said:

I think that's a little shortsighted. I love Amarillo and rarely make IPA's. I like hop forward beers and don't really care for malt forward styles. Not a fad, just my preference. Obviously not yours, but I get irritated by the too cool for school crowd that have declared hoppy beers over and anyone who still likes them is just a mindless fad chaser.

My Amarillo beers are a Gumballhead that I always have to keep on tap and I've done a pale ale SMASH with Maris Otter-Amarillo. Both are/were fantastic. I was fortunate to get a pound from Farmhouse and am glad I jumped on it given how quick they disappeared at hops direct this year. The limited availability will just mean I'll have to ration my Amarillo to keep the Gumballhead going for my guests and it's an opportunity to explore some other hops for my other beers.

Ipa schmipa. Can't wait to brew a gumballhead clone, harvest dance knock off, biere de mars, and saison/farmhouse ales with citra, Amarillo, and/or Belma.

TNGabe said:
Ipa schmipa. Can't wait to brew a gumballhead clone, harvest dance knock off, biere de mars, and saison/farmhouse ales with citra, Amarillo, and/or Belma.

I just finished brewing a Belgian Bitter with Belma/Cascade and Chouffe yeast today - looking forward to this hop in Belgian styled beers.

I can see the hops being good used in proportion in something like a pale ale, it might be good. I'm not against hop forward beers, I'm against beers that are ALL hops. If I can detect no taste other than bitter I hate it. I buy craft beers often and the new style of all hops and no character is just plain gross. I dont mind an agressive hop bite on the start but I should be able to taste something after that, not just have my tounge numbed.
It's really akin to college kids trying to see who can get the drunkest. Eventually someone is going to release a beer thats 3/4 of a bottle full of hops 1/4 beer.

If you dont think its a fad walk into your favorite craft brew store and count the ipa percentage, I went looking recently and my favorite store now carries over 64% ipas. Its stunning, and even brews labeled stouts or porters taste like an ipa with food coloring added. Now add to that all the shirts and gear that are being sold saying crap like "hop head", it most definately is a trend. It's litterally like the breweries are sitting around trying to figure out how much more hop they can pack into a beer, so they can be trendy and the guy trying to be cool and hip to the beer scene will buy their beer. ugh I wash my hands of it, hopefully the next fad isnt as bitter as raw garlic.

SpacemanSpiff said:
I think that's a little shortsighted. I love Amarillo and rarely make IPA's. I like hop forward beers and don't really care for malt forward styles. Not a fad, just my preference. Obviously not yours, but I get irritated by the too cool for school crowd that have declared hoppy beers over and anyone who still likes them is just a mindless fad chaser.

My Amarillo beers are a Gumballhead that I always have to keep on tap and I've done a pale ale SMASH with Maris Otter-Amarillo. Both are/were fantastic. I was fortunate to get a pound from Farmhouse and am glad I jumped on it given how quick they disappeared at hops direct this year. The limited availability will just mean I'll have to ration my Amarillo to keep the Gumballhead going for my guests and it's an opportunity to explore some other hops for my other beers.

I agree with your view. Also, I want to come to your house and drink your beer.

:mug:

[blah blah blah IPA fad]

Oh give it a rest. Things get popular, deal with it. It's like listening to someone complain about how malbec is the new popular wine choice right now; yea it's a fair observation but you make it sound like people only drink it to be cool or something. Maybe people just genuinely LIKE those flavours?

Reminds me of some hipster I heard babbling the other day about how IPA is getting too mainstream. Just hush and go drink your PBR in peace (that guy, not you). I eagerly await in a year or two when people start complaining about sour beers getting too popular too.

Edit: Oh right, and +1 on this actually:
Ipa schmipa. Can't wait to brew a... biere de mars, and saison/farmhouse ales with citra, Amarillo, and/or Belma.

Honestly, I think Belgian and French beers are better suited for hops like citra, nelson sauvin, galaxy, etc. more so than really massive IPAs.

If you dont think its a fad walk into your favorite craft brew store and count the ipa percentage, I went looking recently and my favorite store now carries over 64% ipas. Its stunning, and even brews labeled stouts or porters taste like an ipa with food coloring added. Now add to that all the shirts and gear that are being sold saying crap like "hop head", it most definately is a trend. It's litterally like the breweries are sitting around trying to figure out how much more hop they can pack into a beer, so they can be trendy and the guy trying to be cool and hip to the beer scene will buy their beer. ugh I wash my hands of it, hopefully the next fad isnt as bitter as raw garlic.

Oh, you caught me! I only buy amarillo, simcoe, centennial, and cascade by the pound(s) is so I can hope that you think I'm trendy!

I only brew 130 batches of IPA a year so you'll be impressed! That's it.

It's NOT because I love hoppy beers and many others do too. It's so extraordinarily ignorant people can be so much cooler than me by declaring my preferences a "fad" and "crap saying hop head" and a "trend". Interestingly, I don't like super-bitter beers, but instead a hop forward beer with lots of hops flavor and aroma with just enough bitterness to balance the malt.

You caught me. I confess.

Or, get your head out of wherever it is, and consider something shocking: your store has "over 64% IPAs" because that is what it is selling. Of course, you are convinced it's so hipsters can be cool, but people who know beer may simply enjoy the flavor and hops. Really.

A Saison with Amarillo and Citra is AWESOME. The fruit with a spicy twist to it from the yeast is just refreshing.

I like IPA's so I go through a bunch of hops regularly. I keep a stock house ipa on draft that I end up brewing usually once a month, thats mostly Amarillo, has a little magnum in there, and dry hopped with amarillo and cascade.

BTW, good call on the sours being popular. If you notice alot of places are coming out with sours and people are actually enjoying them once they get past the whole "eeekk" factor about it being soured on purpose.

BTW, isn't being hipster really to repulse whatever is popular? I have no idea if it is or not, but I know those granola eatin' weirdos like to go against the grain.. Wouldn't they hate IPA's then?

Care to share your amarillo recipes? I have some that I've been meaning to use.

I gotta say I have to kind of agree with the comment about hoppy stouts and porters. I have had a few lately that were way too hoppy. I usually expect those beers to be more malt forward. Anyhow yeah this shortage stuff sucks. Kind of wish I didn't brew the zombie dust clone now I love citra. Oh and I really love simcoe lately. Two of the worst to get right now.

Wow peole can get catty,
I'm not insulting your religion or peeing on your diety.I'm NOT against hop forward beers, I'm against BAD beer.
I'm not anti-fad , I'm anti BAD beer. Companies are changing there recipies and brewing 6 kinds of ipas. It's all due to this stupid "hop mania" crap. I brew hop forward beers, I have a red coming up with cascade that will have a nice hop bite. It will also be a balanced beer, not a hop tea.
I'm not trying to be a hipster saying "oh thats so last week". I'm just tired of good beer being ruined. Releases like this only go to further the bad beer, now next year all the breweries will want to double the ammarillo and citra orders, which might make some good beer, but most are just gonna try and find room in the bottle to cram as much as they can in.
If you think im wrong go to a craft store and pick up a selection of beers you havent tried before, most of them will go down the sink

Maybe you just don't like hoppy beer. Thats okay. To say people are ruining good beer with hops, is silly. If they like it, who's to tell them they are wrong?

I buy plenty of craft beer, despite making my own. I enjoy most of them. Have an open mind. Just because you think it's balanced, might be a sweet malt bomb to someone else. Personal preference, learn about it!

Just a PSA: Citra may be gone, but nobody "missed out" on Amarillo. I bought a pound of 2012 Amarillo from Freshops a month ago, and it still shows available on their site. Same with Simcoe. Looks like they also have Mosaic now, which I'm interested to try...

I buy craft beers often and the new style of all hops and no character is just plain gross. I dont mind an agressive hop bite on the start but I should be able to taste something after that, not just have my tounge numbed.

Could you provide some commercial examples of this "new style"?

Back