Hops didn't come back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h0psnobery

Reaction score
I ordered a Teamaker and Fuggle hops plant from Great Lakes Hops last year. They send out a 1 year old crowns instead of rhizomes. I put them both in the ground in early spring in a yard with southern exposure, watered regularly, but didn't use any fertilizer or pesticides.

The Teamaker did really well and I harvested about 8 lbs in September. The Fuggle only got a couple feet off the ground and never produced and cones. I've heard that European varieties can be fussy so I wasn't that surprised.

This year however, the Fuggle is growing like a weed and the Teamaker appears to be dead. I was under the impression that hops are incredibly hardy. Has anyone ever had something like this happen? I was really excited about the Teamaker as I can't find a source to buy it. Any ideas as to what I can do?

They are typically a hardy plant though I have no experience with Teamaker. Get a hold of the guys at GLH's. They are decent guys who can tell you what others have experienced and maybe find a solution.

Just some things to think about:

- Was there anything different in the way the two were treated? Did the teamaker end up in standing water for a few days?

- Do you have a lawn service that could have oversprayed some weed killer onto it?

- Do you have a SWMBO that didn't appreciate 8 lbs of hops being dried in the house who may have drizzled something on the offending plant? (Not to call your relationship into question but I've heard of it happening before.)

Back