Hops and yeast delivery lost in summer heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37degrees

Reaction score
I've had a delivery of vacuum sealed hop pellets and dry yeast missing in transit now for almost a week.

I've finally located the package, which is die to arrive today.
I'm quite worried though because it's been very hot here and I'm fairly certain that it won't have been chilled.

Should I be worried?

Because it's dry yeast, I wouldn't be to terribly concerned. If you're worried, make a small starter to make sure that the yeast is good before pitching.

As for the hops, being vacuum sealed and in the dark, they should be fine. I would probably try to use them fairly quickly though.

I want to live where this guy is... It's less than a week till spring and we're sitting pretty at 36*...

Rehydrating the dried yeast would be better. It makes for stronger cell walls than puting it in a starter with wort.

Thanks for all the help.

Good news is that the package has arrived.

I remember now that this particular supplier sells their hops in plastic zip lock bags from a bulk supply.
They still smell...hoppy.

Will these be ok?

Feeling happy about the yeast - I usually make a starter, so should ok.

Thanks for all the help.

Good news is that the package has arrived.

I remember now that this particular supplier sells their hops in plastic zip lock bags from a bulk supply.
They still smell...hoppy.

Will these be ok?

It sounds like they're just fine.

Feeling happy about the yeast - I usually make a starter, so should ok.

Dry yeast can handle a few days of warm temperatures just fine.

I'm going to suggest that you do not make a starter with dry yeast.

According to microbiologist and yeast guru Dr. Clayton Cone, even 1.040 wort used for liquid starters will kill a significant amount of cells (up to 60%) when you sprinkle them dry onto the wort. The cell walls of dry yeast when dry are different than the cell walls of liquid yeast. Until rehydrated, their cells walls are fragile and need to be reconstituted. Until that happens, they tend to leach out their insides and die when introduced into the wort. For whatever reason, the walls of dry yeast cells rebuild themselves to good functionality best and fastest in 95-105* tap water (boiled first to sanitize, of course).

So, by doing a starter with dry yeast, you are merely taking a large step backward in cell count (killing a large % of dry cells by tossing them into a typical starter wort). You then have to work, by growing the starter, to regain the cell count that you just needlessly lost. An 11 gram packet of unexpired dry yeast, properly rehydrated, has sufficient cell count for a 5.25 gallon batch of wort up to 1.060 gravity (according to Mr. Malty).

Back