Hops and pool water... Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopJuicer

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to owning a pool and made a big mistake! I have 2 cascade and 2 centennial growing from rhizomes planted in ground 2 months ago. The tallest is about 6ft. This weekend I was doing some pool maintenance and turned on the fill valve to add a little bit of water. I forgot I had the water running, then left my house for about 6-8 hours. My lawn and hops were flooded and holding about 2 inches of water.

The next day nothing was holding water but still soaked! Its been a couple of days now and the ground has dried enough to resume watering, but the leaves are starting to dry and curl upward. This started at the bottom of the plant and is working its way to the top. The growing tips have a slight curl to them now too. I'm guessing the chemicals in the pool are poisoning the plants. Do you all think they will survive? Any advise on the next couple of weeks on how to baby these?

Can't say anything comes to mind that neutralizes chlorine and whatever else is in your pool water, maybe list what chemicals they've been exposed to and we can get creative? I'd say maybe try to flush them with clean water, lots of clean water, but I'd say you're screwed, anyone?

So far all I have added is chlorine as needed to stay at 2-3 ppm in a 20k gal pool, and a dose of algaecide a few weeks ago. The pH is is 7.5 so I haven't had to add acid. So over watering maybe? That sounds easier to tend to than chemical issues!

So far all I have added is chlorine as needed to stay at 2-3 ppm in a 20k gal pool, and a dose of algaecide a few weeks ago. The pH is is 7.5 so I haven't had to add acid. So over watering maybe? That sounds easier to tend to than chemical issues!

...but you're not adding pure chlorine, it likely came in some form of a salt, meaning it could quite possibly be the resultant dissolved salt that is the culprit. That and just as a matter of plant health goes, plants don't need much in the way of chlorine, there is usually enough present in the soil, so it quite possibly be due to the chlorine, or the fact that you just suffocated your plants.

Sorry man.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the replies! It's not looking good but will hope for the best. If the bines do die back, is the rhizome toast as well?

Back