Hops and dogs.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
All,

Here is my situation:

My wife and I live in New Jersey on about half an acre of land. We have a fenced in back yard for my dog.

I REALLY want to start growing hops. After reading up a bit I realize that dogs can become extremely ill or even die if they eat hops. I guess my question is, has anyone ever grown them in a pot/controlled area because of this reason?

Any help is appreciated!

Ludes Brews

I have three dogs and a half acre of property too. I grow hops in the far back where the dogs cannot go. But when I harvest them, dry them, etc I do it on my back deck and garage where the dogs are roaming around. When a cone drops to the ground I pick them up right away, but when the dogs have been near by they sniff it and leave them alone. For the last three years of growing my own hops I have never had an issue with my dogs trying to eat them. I think the smell of the hops is not appealing to eat, but if you have a dog that likes to eat anything and everything well that may be a different story.

I also brew in the garage and driveway where the dogs have access too. They never try to eat the hop cones or pellets that may occasionally fall on the ground. The spent grains is a whole different story.

I guess what I am getting at is, if your dogs are like mine they will have no interest in the hops. Try it out, keep an eye on the hops and the dogs as they grow to see what the dogs do with the plants. When you harvest and dry the hops be extra careful they don't eat any of the cones. Good luck!

My hops grow right on the front of my house...the entire front of my house...Right outside the front door. They've been growing there for years. My dogs have never shown any interest, at all, in them (except to add their own bitterness from time to time).
I have heard that hops can make them sick, but I think my dogs have heard that too and stay away from them.

Your dog shouldn't be eating hops, so ask yourself if your dog likes to eat stuff around the yard and act accordingly! My own dog doesn't see them as a snack and generally doesn't eat stuff around the yard.

Like others have said, my two dogs don't eat them. They run through the bines and dig holes in the bed, but they don't eat them.
That being said, my yields from six bines have been okay, but the total amount of work to make one wet-hopped beer a year has me re-thinking the entire concept. I am seriously debating pulling the plants and putting in something more decorative.

Back in the 90s when I first started brewing I owned a chocolate lab that ate some spent whole hops I'd dumped in my backyard. She had to have charcoal forced into her stomach and I learned about hops and dogs not getting along from the vet. I also clearly remember the $300+ vet bill I couldn't really afford at the time.

That said I've recently grown hops in my backyard where my two current dogs can easily access them however they've never paid a bit of attention to the bines. I did watch the dogs carefully for a while when they were around the hop area but they won't even pee on the bines and there's little else they won't pee on.

Latest posts

Back