Hops advice, is this just MENTAL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post here, awesome forum by the way!
I have been brewing partial mash brews for a while now, mostly very hoppy double IPA's and going AG next!

Now my last brew got great comments by fellow drinkers but i want alot more hop flavour and a touch more aroma.

I live in NZ and cant get all the U.S monster hopped beers like Pliny the younger, Alpine Exponential Hoppiness, hopslam or Any Three Floyds brews
but after hearing all about them i want to try some thing to the extreme.
Without tearing me to pieces heres a basic recipe.....

Golden Promise malt 8.1kg
Caramalt 1.kg
Carahell Malt .5kg

Around the 8% ABV
90 IBU
Yeast Safale US05
Mash 60mins 68C (154F)

Kettle Boil 60mins

90g Chinook Alpha 11.1% 60mins (about 3oz)
30g Cascade 17mins ( just over 1oz)
30g Centennial 15mins ( just over 1oz)
30g Galaxy 12mins ( just over 1oz)
40g Cascade 10mins ( about 1.4oz)
40g Centennial 7mins ( about 1.4 oz)
30g Galaxy 5mins ( just over 1oz)
30g each Galaxy, Wai iti 2mins ( just over 2 oz)
30g each Cas,Cen,Gal, Wai 0mins ( just over 4oz)

Primary 2 weeks

Dry hop 7 days
60g Cascade
60g Centennial
60g Galaxy
60g Wai iti
(just over 8oz total dry hop)

Yes on the extreme side maybe but the hop head inside me just wants to do it!

BAD idea or just do IT?

I'm not so good on the conversion there as I'm used to ounces but I would think that you might want to lower a little on the bittering side and use those on the aroma side instead. nothing wrong with extreme if that's what you like. also, for a big IIPA I think mashing low is key. If you mash at around 149F instead I think you'll be pleased. Maybe dropping the caramalt and using some plain ol sugar instead will help also. Dryness is key in these types of beers. Also, what's wai iti? a New Zealand hop?

I'm not so good on the conversion there as I'm used to ounces but I would think that you might want to lower a little on the bittering side and use those on the aroma side instead. nothing wrong with extreme if that's what you like. also, for a big IIPA I think mashing low is key. If you mash at around 149F instead I think you'll be pleased. Maybe dropping the caramalt and using some plain ol sugar instead will help also. Dryness is key in these types of beers. Also, what's wai iti? a New Zealand hop?

Thanks for the quick reply! 1 ounce is 28grams. Yeah i was thinking about the mash temp but i dont want anything to light in the end, mouth feel wise,
also want a bit of the caramel flavour to come through, not in abundance but
there.

Yes Wai iti is a nz hop

Heres a link with the profile

http://www.brewshop.co.nz/hops/wai-iti-hops.html

Thanks!

Thanks for the fast reply! 1oz is 28grams. Yeah was thinking bout my mash temp but wouldn't mashing that low give me a weak/light mouth feel?
I kinda want the caramel notes in there to balance out all the hops.... maybe
i need to rethink that, i dont want the finish to be to sticky either!

Yeah Wai iti is a new NZ hop... here is the note profile...

Wai-iti is a low alpha, aroma hop which produces an array of citrus characteristics - mandarin, lemon, lime. Low Coh adds to the overall quality of the finish which is soft. This is a newly released hop.

Grown: New Zealand
Alpha Rating: 2.9

Back