Hops Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCHForever

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

This is my first time here and my first time to home brewing! I just purchased a brewing starter it from my LHBS as well as the ingredients for a basic wheat beer. My main question relates to adding hops. The instructions read 1 oz Cascade for 60 minutes and 1 oz Cascade for 5 minutes. Does this mean add the 1 oz for an hour and then add the other oz for 5 minutes after that or do you include them at 55 minutes so that the initial hops are only in for 60 minutes.

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to sharing how it goes and learning a lot from the rest of you!

The second thing you said...You add the first hops with 60minutes left in the boil and the second with 5 minutes left in the boil.

Thanks everyone. My first batch is fermenting and based on what I have been reading here, I am going to allow it to ferment longer than the recipe's suggested 7 days. Hopefully it turns out good!

Thanks everyone. My first batch is fermenting and based on what I have been reading here, I am going to allow it to ferment longer than the recipe's suggested 7 days. Hopefully it turns out good!

It's not a bad habit to get into leaving anything you do (which isn't high ABV) sit in primary for a few weeks. Give it 3 or 4 weeks, check the gravity, bottle.

Congrats on your first brew!!! As others said, kettle hops times are indicated in time left in the boil. And as CompleteNewb said, leave it a few weeks, two at minimum and then start your FG readings. Patience is the best thing a new brewer can acquire.

What helped me the most with timing the boil is a cheap digital timer on my kitchen stove. When I got the wort to a boil, and then add the first hops I set the timer for 60 minutes. When the timer hits '15', then it's time for the 15 minute hops addition, and when it hits '5', then it's time for the 5 minute hops (or whatever the schedule is). I still use a digital timer every time, instead of trying to remember what time I started! :drunk:

Thanks again for the insight. My second batch went much smoother and I am confident that at least my procedures were better than the first time.

Back