Hoppy New Year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disi

Reaction score
What do you think of this one?
Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 18,93 L      
Boil Size: 22,71 L
Estimated OG: 1,064 SG
Estimated Color: 11,7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50,3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
3,25 kg       Pale Malt (2 Row) Ger (3,0 SRM)           Grain        60,19 %       
1,75 kg       Munich Malt (9,0 SRM)                     Grain        32,41 %       
0,25 kg       Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM)              Grain        4,63 %        
0,15 kg       Caraaroma (130,0 SRM)                     Grain        2,78 %        
25,00 gm      First Gold [7,50 %]  (60 min)             Hops         21,5 IBU      
25,00 gm      Fuggles [4,50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         12,9 IBU      
15,00 gm      Fuggles [4,50 %]  (30 min)                Hops         6,0 IBU       
15,00 gm      First Gold [7,50 %]  (30 min)             Hops         9,9 IBU       
10,00 gm      First Gold [7,50 %]  (10 min) (Aroma Hop-SHops          -            
10,00 gm      Fuggles [4,50 %]  (10 min) (Aroma Hop-SteeHops          -            
1,00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 15,0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)      Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5,40 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 14,08 L of water at 75,6 C      67,8 C

Sounds tasty to me, although if someone gave me a beer called Hoppy New Year I would expect a bigger hop aroma (say another 15-20 grams of both fuggles and first gold in the last minute of the boil.)

PS Welcome to the board!

Thanks, I didn't realise until now that was my first post. Yet I've read about every fourth thread here since I joined, by my guessing.

Anyway, I didn't want to max out the hops in this one, as I'd like to be able to offer it to some friends as well - most of which that couldn't even tell a hop from a grain of barley. :)

I might, however, make an imperial version to fulfill my own twisted hoppy needs. Any suggestions for that? ;)

If you want something accessible you might back down on the IBUs a bit, not sure how bitter the average beer in Iceland is, but at 50 IBUs would be too bitter for most Americans not into good beer.

If you have some smaller jugs you could take half the batch and add some dry hops, it might be a good way to show people what a hop aroma brings to a beer.

You are quite correct. I've found that 30 IBU is a pretty good value for most people I know, but I've had some success with slightly higher values as well. I'm just trying to teach those Bud and Carlsberg drinking bastards to appreciate a good beer, and that there's more to it than getting drunk. :)

I do, however, have a few less hoppy and paler ales for those who aren't ready to accept all the pretty hops. An APA at around 30 IBU and an ESB very close to that, as well as a Hefeweizen.

The average beer in Iceland? Most people don't care for the taste or aroma, and the bestsellers are lagers like Carlsberg, Tuborg and some locally brewed varieties (Viking and Thule, for example). If they can get drunk, and cheaply, they don't really care. It used to be the same for the wines, but thankfully, people's tastes are finally evolving a bit.

I was actually thinking of making the Centennial Blonde posted somewhere around here, which I think might work pretty well out.

Back