Hoppy British Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filthyastronaut

Reaction score
I've seen that this style exists for a long time, but didn't really look into it until recently. I love the concept of it and thought it would make a perfect house beer. I tried to stay true to style guidelines, but probably went a little overboard on the hops. The combo of hops sounds amazing to me, and it probably would have never occurred to me to mix these until I had read about this style. What do ya'll think?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: British Golden Ale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: British Golden Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.035
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5%
IBU (tinseth): 25.13
SRM (morey): 5.1

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (100%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 21.63
1 oz - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.62
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.88
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 77%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 57 - 70 F

Personally I'd go goldings all the way.

Was considering it, but I think all the hops in the recipe would compliment each other really well. The style often has a bit of American hop character as well. I might try just Goldings and tweak as I go though.

I made one this summer with just Maris Otter and a touch of Carapils for the malt bill. It was really light - I personally wished I’d added some biscuit or victory malt to add a little more character to mine.

FWIW in case you didn't know, member Northern Brewer, a British brewer, is devoted to this style. I'm not sure there's info on brewing it from him on the forum, but I found out about his focus when we talked of working on one thing to perfect it. He may jump in here, just wanted to let you know and say in general, even, the guy's been such a source of information for me, generously so. Suggest searching through his material.

Good luck!

For a 5% beer I'd increase the ibus to at least 35 or more for this style. You have enough late hops given the batch size. I tend to have a bigger 15min addition too although this will depend on how long you let your hops stand before cooling. If you find it not happy enough then consider using an American ale yeast next time, it's fine for these types of beers imo

New hop schedule based on suggestions, IBUs increased to just shy of 30 and the Centennial at 20 min. should be more of an accent to the flavor to let those EKGs shine. And removed Crystal, just because.

0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 25.39
2 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 3.62
1.5 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

Back