Hoppy Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBrew

Reaction score
I would like to make a hoppy brew and am wondering what hops to use. I'm using:
1lb light dme
1lb wheat dme
6.6lb light lme
.5lb Rice syrup solids
3T crushed roasted barley for steeping

I have these hops- ALL OF THESE HOPS ARE PELLET
3 oz Hallertauer 3.8% GER
2 oz Fuggles 4% UK
1 oz Cascade 5.9% US
1 oz Columbus 14.2% US
1 oz EKG 4.8% UK
1 oz Willamette 5.1% US

Looking for an idea on schedule or possibly other hops I should buy to throw in the mix. Preferably some ideas on what I can do with these hops. ;)
Appreciate any and all help!!:mug:

Well I let this post sit for a little while and didn't get any response. So I decided to go with:
60 minutes- 1oz Columbus, 1oz EKG, 1oz Fuggle
20 minutes- 1oz Fuggle
10 minutes- 1oz Hallertauer
2 minutes- 1oz Hallertauer
Plan on dry hopping when I transfer to secondary after the bulk of the fermentation has completed with 1oz Hallertauer.

After 2 days the brew has overflowed my airlock. I woke up this morning and noticed. I stuck some tubing into the hole in my fermenting bucket and ran it into a gallon jug 2/3 full of sanitizing solution. Hope it will still be alright.

Depends how hoppy you want to make it. If you wanted an american pale ale, you could do something like 1oz columbus for 60mins, 0.5oz cascade & williamette 30mins, 0.5oz cascade &williamette 5mins. you can vary times and amounts on cascade and williamette depending on how much bitterness (60+mins), flavor (15-30mins), and aroma (<15mins) you want.

Wow you nearly used everything. This might be the first hoppy brew I've seen using hallertauer. If you're going for a hoppy brew, you'd be better off dry hopping with cascade or even the williamette, than the hallertauer. As for the overflow, that shouldn't have caused any problems.

Back