American Amber Ale Hoppy American Amber or Malty American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tapped this after 4 weeks in fermenter.
I made a big mistake...only brewed
2.5 gallons! This beer is fantastic!
I used normal chocolate malt instead of pale chocolate which I suspect has added a bit too much taste but apart from that it is a great beer for the upcoming winter.
Thanks for the recipe...

Ready to brew this tomorrow but just noticed that the Brewmasters Warehouse recipe I received did not include the Crystal 120L. It's not listed in their recipe database. What impact will this have on the outcome of this brew? Does anyone know? Thanks.

It'll be fine - just a little lighter in color and maybe a slightly less caramelly flavor. It'll still be awesome.

Hi,
I just brewed this past Sunday. I had to make some modification to the recipe base on the ingredients I had. I sampled the sweet wort and it tasted great. Nice malty flavors with caramel flavor in the background. Currently fermenting and it's smells great. Can't wait to drink this as I love malty/hoppy amber beer. One of my favorite is the troeg hopback amber beer. Thank you Yooper for the recipe. Here is my version of the recipe.

2.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4
4.0 oz Special Roast (40.0 SRM) Grain 5
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 6
8.0 oz steel cut oats (1.0 SRM) Grain 7
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (60.0 SRM) Grain 9
2.0 oz midnight wheat (550.0 SRM) Grain 10
0.7 oz Magnum [14.2%] - First Wort Hops 11
1.0 oz Cascade [6.9%] - Boil 10 min Hops 12
1.0 oz Centennial [10.7%] - Boil 10 min Hops 13
1.0 oz Cascade [6.9%] - Steep 15 min Hops 14
0.8 oz Centennial [8.9%] - Steep 15 min Hops 15
1 pkgs East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008) Yeast 16

Hi,
I just brewed this past Sunday. I had to make some modification to the recipe base on the ingredients I had. I sampled the sweet wort and it tasted great. Nice malty flavors with caramel flavor in the background. Currently fermenting and it's smells great. Can't wait to drink this as I love malty/hoppy amber beer. One of my favorite is the troeg hopback amber beer. Thank you Yooper for the recipe. Here is my version of the recipe.

2.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4
4.0 oz Special Roast (40.0 SRM) Grain 5
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 6
8.0 oz steel cut oats (1.0 SRM) Grain 7
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (60.0 SRM) Grain 9
2.0 oz midnight wheat (550.0 SRM) Grain 10
0.7 oz Magnum [14.2%] - First Wort Hops 11
1.0 oz Cascade [6.9%] - Boil 10 min Hops 12
1.0 oz Centennial [10.7%] - Boil 10 min Hops 13
1.0 oz Cascade [6.9%] - Steep 15 min Hops 14
0.8 oz Centennial [8.9%] - Steep 15 min Hops 15
1 pkgs East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008) Yeast 16

how did this turn out? hopback is one of my favorites too and i am working on a clone (with yooper's recipe as a base)

Thanks Yopper; You inspired me to brew a double batch!

I blended the base malt equally between CM 2-Row, TF-Pearl and TF-MOPA. Subbed in Magnum @ 60, Columbus and Cascade @ 10 and Cascade @ 0 before pitching Bry-97.

Some trouble left me with about 7.5 vs 10 Gal into carboys @ Brix 15.

The Bry-97 and mash should finish near 1.006 for 7.25% ABV. I'll consider dry hopping after I sample it and report back in a couple weeks.

For those of you have brewed this Yooper recipe and her APA; which do you prefer and for what reasons? Thanks!

Huzzah! I'm really excited to brew this one again tomorrow! I'm giving 1028 a try in place of the 1450 just because I have it on hand.

I'll report back in a couple weeks.

Thanks again Yopper! Tasted great. Kicked a double batch within 2-3 weeks of serving!

I tried to stay true to the original but my mods were:
1. Missed or forgot the Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L. :confused:
2. I blended some Columbus and Cascade to replace the Centennial.
3. Used BRY-97 yeast.
4. Used clarity ferm in 1/2 the batch.

Clarity ferm was interesting. It pleased my gluten sensitive friends so I will use it again but it also surprised me by increasing the overall bitterness when I compared them side by side. The "Classic" was very well balanced and an easy drinker, people drank it all night long. The one with clarity ferm I noticed people would go back for a second pint and then stop. Now the target audience was a little different and might be biased to drinking less ;)

I'm aiming to keep this on tap for the fall/winter/spring.

I brewed this maybe a month and a half ago and have been drinking it for the last couple weeks. I brewed it to the recipe and it's the best beer I've brewed so far. Rich malty backbone with a nice smooth mouthfeel (I attribute this to both the oats and the yeast) along with solid, almost IPA level hoppiness (can't go wrong with Cascade+Centennial).

When I brew it again, I am going to try reducing the Magnum by a third as the only negative I've gotten is that a lot of people who like ambers say it's "more bitter than I'd like." The yeast takes forever to drop too, but I think it adds so much to this beer that I'm afraid to sub something for it. This is a crowd pleaser for sure! Thanks for the recipe Yooper!

What a crazy brew day. Should not brew alone and try to watch the blackhawks stanley cup parade. Worst brew day i have had. Time to mash and realized i hadnt crushed the grain. When i did mash in temp was high and over corrected. Finally it was time to take the first runnings. I use gravity set up and once i had runnings going in to kettle i went back inside to keep watching parade. When i came back out I realized i never closed the ball valve and all my preciouse wort was on the garage floor! 2nd attempt saturday night better go better.

What a crazy brew day. Should not brew alone and try to watch the blackhawks stanley cup parade. Worst brew day i have had. Time to mash and realized i hadnt crushed the grain. When i did mash in temp was high and over corrected. Finally it was time to take the first runnings. I use gravity set up and once i had runnings going in to kettle i went back inside to keep watching parade. When i came back out I realized i never closed the ball valve and all my preciouse wort was on the garage floor! 2nd attempt saturday night better go better.

Oh, that sucks! Sorry for your bad brewday, and the sticky garage floor. I hope the next one is better.

Huzzah! I'm really excited to brew this one again tomorrow! I'm giving 1028 a try in place of the 1450 just because I have it on hand.

Follow-up! 1028 was good, but I think I prefer the 1450. I definitely got the "minerally" thing people say about 1028, and it preserved a lot of the malt character the way folks say it does, but 1450 just has this magic to it. Next time I'll use the 1450 again.

Thanks for this Yooper - i stumbled accross this thread and liked the sound of this receipe. After about 3 years of home brewing this is the best tasting beer that i have made. Its exactly what i was looking for - love the caramel maltiness and the mouthfeel. Do you have an Ameriacn IPA recipe of a similar high standing?

I was ready to make this beer this weekend, however I can't get hold of the naked oats in time (my LHBS has never heard of them) and given my track record of amber beers I'm going to have to pass. Thanks for sharing anyway!

Thanks for this Yooper - i stumbled accross this thread and liked the sound of this receipe. After about 3 years of home brewing this is the best tasting beer that i have made. Its exactly what i was looking for - love the caramel maltiness and the mouthfeel. Do you have an Ameriacn IPA recipe of a similar high standing?

I think I have several posted. This one is my favorite:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25709

I am unable to get golden naked oats from the retailers here in Canada. What is my best option for substitution? Flaked oats? Oat malt? Leave it out completely? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

I am unable to get golden naked oats from the retailers here in Canada. What is my best option for substitution? Flaked oats? Oat malt? Leave it out completely? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

I think I used flaked oats. I want to brew it again with the golden naked oats and to improve my flameout hop addition. I think I added it when the sort was just done boiling instead of letting it cool to 180 or so which I have seen recommended.

Well brain fart. While I've ordered from torontobrewing before I've been ordering online from OBK lately and they didn't have it. Didn't even think about torontobrewing. Thanks! Order placed.

Mashed in a little bit ago. My starter of WLP001 is ready, and hops are laid out. Surprisingly, my little HBS had both Biscuit and Naked Golden Oats, though I was fully prepared to use victory and flaked oats.

Hope it's as good as everyone says,

Cheers!:mug:

I was ready to make this beer this weekend, however I can't get hold of the naked oats in time (my LHBS has never heard of them) and given my track record of amber beers I'm going to have to pass. Thanks for sharing anyway!

Hi Daggers, I'm In NZ too and managed to find the naked oats from here

http://www.brewshop.co.nz/golden-naked-oats.html

I just stumbled upon this thread at the beginning of the week and have decided to give this recipe a go!!! The grains arrived today so just waiting on the hops . :ban:

This recipe sounds really tasty but i have decided to cut back on the bittering hops.I am only going to use 0.35 ounce as 58 IBU might be a little too bitter for my palette. I calculate I should get around 40 IBU with the reduction ..

I've also had to use columbus for bittering as my LHBS did not have any magnum.. I will report back to the thread at sampling time and pray to the brewing gods all goes well!! :)

Drinking my Yooper's Hoppy American Amber while making my yearly Brrr clone. The picture makes it look much lighter than it really is, though I'm pretty pleased with the clarity, while keeping a nice fluffy head.

8FgYb4M.jpg

I've just taken a gravity reading after 14 days and its all the way down to 1.008 , I used 05 for this brew and my OG came in pretty low at 1.056 ( I dont think my grain was crushed as well as it should be from the LHBS)

I really hope its not infected.. I took a taste test and it tastes lovely with no apparent off flavours or sign of infection or pellicle on top..

I'm going to leave it another few days and then take another gravity reading and hope it does not come down any further.

OK, I've just bottled up after 3 weeks in the primary and the OG came all the way down to 1.006.. I've no idea why it finished so low??? Then again I suspect it could be related to some sort of mash temp issue??

I took a sample and it tastes very promising indeed, just as the OP described.. I still managed to get my final ABV of 6.7 % as my OG was 1.056 as my above post stated.

I look forward to sampling after 6-8 weeks conditioning and will report back with some taste notes then ..

I just pulled the first couple of pints of this tonight. Very tasty stuff. Thanks to Yooper for sharing this great recipe.

I just opened my first bottles after 4 weeks primary and 10 days of conditioning. It is super tasty and very easy to drink (finished at 1.008 with us05). The aromatic flame out additions are really perceptible and definitely pleasant. Thanks for the great recipe!

Brewed this beer and like it. Was wanting to enter it in a competition but slightly confused as to what category. The closest match to me is a Red IPA, but wondering if anyone else has entered this.

Brewed this beer and like it. Was wanting to enter it in a competition but slightly confused as to what category. The closest match to me is a Red IPA, but wondering if anyone else has entered this.

It's really not bitter nor hoppy enough to be a red IPA. You could go with American Amber or pale ale, but it sort of straddles the line. If I was entering it in a BJCP competition, I'd probably go with American Amber since that is the category it is closest to.

It's really not bitter nor hoppy enough to be a red IPA. You could go with American Amber or pale ale, but it sort of straddles the line. If I was entering it in a BJCP competition, I'd probably go with American Amber since that is the category it is closest to.

I was thinking that because of the IBU calcs (mine came out at 60 IBUs) it would push it into IPA territory. It would just be an underhopped IPA with a complex malt bill.

Ill enter as an Amber though.

Good luck on the competition, this was one of the best beers I've brewed and I think you'll do well. Might get some feedback that it's too hoppy for style but if it's American Amber there might be some leeway.

Latest posts

Back