hopped up on COKE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOG

Reaction score
So me and my brew Buddy are preparing to brew a Nice red lager and while we are preping the equipment, talk turns to the Mexican coke-a-cola I have in the fridge.

Now I can tell you I am a firm believer in the Real sugar coke, I think it is the best non beer beverage ever invented. I was explaining to him that is was made with real sugar ect.. and just then it hit me... how about a coke beer?

Now I am sure I am not the first to have this idea but I wanted to know what it would be like to brew coke. I also know that a mostly sugar wort is not the best idea for beer. But while brewing the 5 gallon batch, we took 4 half liter bottles of Mexican coke and put them in a pot and started heating them. we then added 3 oz of 10L and 2oz or carapils and steeped.

We then added 3oz of amber malt extract and brought it to a boil and then added .2 oz of east kent goldings. after 45 min we cooled and put it in my 1/2 gallon yeast starter jug and added some nottingham dry yeast. I topped the jug off until I was at 1.049 OG.

It was bubbling well within 2 hours. The bubbles were fine and it had no real malty krausen to speak of. my first thought of this expiriment is that it's not going to be very good but it was fun trying...

we are going to bottle it back in the original coke bottles for fun.

Cool, hopefully it ends up sweet enough to be palatable. There's a reason Coca-Cola has 41 grams of sugar per serving!

Main issue I could see with it is if the preservatives give your ferment trouble. That and the possibility that it might well taste like ass, but that's beside the point. :D

Main issue I could see with it is if the preservatives give your ferment trouble. That and the possibility that it might well taste like ass, but that's beside the point. :D

pondering that the boil took care of some of the perservatives but I dont think it will cure the "ASS"

I watched a video on Youtube some time back, a guy was trying to make Coke beer or wine and it didn't turn out very good, but the added dme and hops may make a defferance. If it turns out decent I may try a experimental batch with some coke syrup for favor, I like my "diet" coke. They make all kinds of flavored malt beverages, but I'v never seen a cola flavored one. Seem strange since cola is probably one of the most popular drinks.

Does Mexican coke taste different?

mexican coke is still made with real Sugar where as the local stuff is corn syrup..

I believe that it does. I think it still has a sharper taste. I grew up on sugar coke, so I am Bias.

I do not drink alot of pop anymore so when I do The extra price for the Mexican coke isnt that big of a deal.

I'm using Coke to acidify the mash of my belgian beers. The flavour contribution is barely noticeable.

Someone in our homebrew club made a batch of beer using Pepsi extract. No joke, this was truly horrible. It just didn't work. Good luck!!!

here is the little batch of "Hopped up on Coke"

coke.jpg

Don't Do It!!!! This guy tried it...did not work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Mexican coke taste different?

I think it does, but I also think this might have as much to do with the fact that it's usually packaged in glass bottles rather than plastic or aluminum as it does with the sugar type. I haven't seen American coke in glass bottles anywhere recently, otherwise I would get some of both for a comparison.

oh my. looking forward to the taste test :cross:

Well, I opened one last night as I was making Edworts apple wine....

It had a light carbonation and smelled like beer. the first taste was a weird. it had a mead or wine flavor with a light hop taste after...

The fermentation of nothing but sugar was probably the reason for the wine taste.

I need more hop to cut that a bit.

It tasted better than I thought it would but I would not say I liked it.

I have 3 bottles left and will be handing it out to taste testers later..

coke beer2.jpg

I liked the sugar Mt Dew better then the usual, but for Coke, I could hardly notice a difference. I won't be making any soda beer in the near future!

Back