hopp additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
i just brewd my third extract today, as i was watching the hops in the mesh bag float around during the boil i started wondering, how other people add hops, i have seen alot of videos where people just toss the hops right in the kettle insted of putting them in a mesh bag..... my past two beers have not had alot of hop flavor, im wondering if the mesh bag is constricting the hops from getting their flaver out throughly, what would yall do

i had 2 ounces of pellets in 1 small bag and the bag was all swoled up and just didnt seam like they were getting flushed with wort properly idk maybe i just paranoid

Dmanshane said:
i had 2 ounces of pellets in 1 small bag and the bag was all swoled up and just didnt seam like they were getting flushed with wort properly idk maybe i just paranoid

You can lose some flavor, but it could be the hops, their condition, or when you used them. I typically use a mesh hop spider or just toss them in.

I find the same issue as well. Do you do a partial boil or full boil? You won't get as much hop utilization with a partial I've heard. I'm hoping to just dump in the hop pellets next time, and strain it before fermentation.

I let them swim free. You can leave them in the wort in the fermenter. I strain them when the wort goes into the fermenter.

Keep those hops in their birthday suit and toss those bitter b@stards in the hot tub! Use Irish Moss or Gelatin finings to make all the boiled particles fall out, and forget the mesh swimsuits.

I'm sittin in my kitchen doing a little quality control on a black ipa. Its topping out about 7%. Perfect carbonation too. I'm trying to send a pick but the app keeps crashing.

Any way this brew has 14 oz of hops in it. 3 separate hop additions in the boil then a dru hop at 10 days.

My advice. Don't worry about the debris! One trick I do when I transfer my wort to the primary is I strain with a big basket strainer. This eliminates a lot of the turb. As long as the wert is cool enough you don't have to worry about oxidation. I have no detectable sediment!

My only problem is its friday and I only chilled one 12 oz bottle to check the head!

My issue with the bag is its so hard to clean after. I am always worried about contamination.

I have gone bare back and with full kit.
With kit there must be some drawbacks over going bareback
But with kit you don't loose so much to trub
So I go with full kit and put a few extra in
It makes for an easier brew day and a cleaner beer.

For the most part this is true. But to truly steralize something it takes high temp over a certain amount of time. I'm no chemist. Besides its just another unecessary piece of equipment. I subscribe to the KISS school of thought. (Keep it simple stupid). The least amount of steps the better.

Its probably very hard to contaminate a batch of brew but I am paranoid.

I do full boils about 6.75 gallon of water to start with and a 2000ml of starter that has kept my carboys fuller and cleaner from sedimate. Aka im not cramming every last drop out of the boil kettle.. I brewed austin home brews lemongrass wheat yesterday and shes fermwnting good all most filled a growler with blow off haha I had carboy a wee bit full... also I just tossed the hops in but bagged the lemongrass

Why reuse a .50 cent bag?

Save the trouble of a bag, and just huck 'em in your wort.

Gary

Smallest Bag my LHBS had was 6"x8" at $3.95, not exactly disposable :p

I like using the bags because in my LBK the yeast cake already makes an inch of sediment on the bottom, didn't need to add anything else to it :)

I do a full boil and just throw the hops in, no bag. When I transfer from the kettle I strain the wort through a sanitized strainer.

Latest posts

Back