Hopefully an easy question about EZ water Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drk93TT

Reaction score
I have been tinkering with salt adjustments in my last handful of beers .. RA to match styles vs my water (roughly) salts to adjust Ca...S04... ( I want to use Brun water but I can't get the Sparge acidification part to work on my Macbook pro in Numbers) blah blah and ran across a question.

! The checkboxes that says add to boil, sparge water, or combine yada yada.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-22%20at%209.26.38%20PM_zpswv8sofyl.png

Does it effect anything If I add that checkbox calculated # of salts it computes to the sparge water and sparge with it? orrrr is it best to just put those salts into the boil kettle AFTER sparging? I don't want to effect the pH. ** I am using RO water for my sparge water in my next beer** I usually add 1ml of Lactic 88% to my sparge water when its around 4-5gallons and check with Colorphast strips and it sits right around 5.4-5.5 (with the .3 correction of the strips at room temp) .... My mash water is from my house which I had a ward labs report done up on.

I don't fully understand the difference with the salt additions in the SPARGE water and its effect on pH yet.

Thanks!

Only calcium salts added to the mash (including mashing water) will have an effect on mash pH (and most likely one about half or less that what the calculators show). Calcium salts in the sparge water will not (unless deducted from the mash water) but they will have an effect on kettle pH. It is important that kettle pH be in the right range just as it is that mash pH be in the right range but it is not as critical.

Welp I downloaded Libre Office and now to open with it it just shows blank boxes no info anywhere Not sure whats up w that?

I can sorta use it in open office but the sparge acidification deal isn't working or changing values

I was able to get excel on my computer and it works now so thats nice

Back