Hop virus/deficiency identification help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff13

Reaction score
So I've been surfing the internet and my books for a week and have not been able to diagnose what is happening to my Cascade. I don't think it's any of the main viruses since they brown more than yellow in patches. Took some photos to see what people come up with. I have been feeding them regularly and just have them some azomite in case it's a weird mineral issue. Worked a bunch of wood ash, compost, Epsom salt in the beginning of the season. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404913386.108985.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404913400.542771.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404913417.831326.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404913633.070351.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404913663.859874.jpg

Based on my experience and communication with Great Lake Hops who I got my crowns from and know their stuff, you may be over feeding. I had very similar issues. What year are your plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It could be over feeding an it is one of the smaller ones. I keep it to every two weeks minimum for feeding. Left to right is Magnum, Zeus, Cascade, Centennial, Santium. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404914611.231384.jpg

My own research suggest feeding should be based on size and age of plant. I'd lay off fert on the little guy and monitor the new growth and see what happens but based on your schedule I'd bet too much nitro. That was the case with mine and no additional spotting occurred. Nice setup by the way! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Keep the thread updated with your results as I'm very interested in your results as this stuff helps us all!!!

At this point feeding does little good. Rather, it could harm your harvest. After the solstice, the plant switches from "grow" mode to "cone" mode. It will rob from lower leaves to feed the cones its trying to push out. This is normal. If these leaves cam from low on the plant, that could be what is happening.

If you continue to feed the plant, it will switch back to "grow" mode. I've seen new sidearms actually popping our to cones. Most times its just leaves, but either way the chemistry of the cone is now crap.

So at this point relax, keep watering and keep watching. If the leaves at top start looking bad, you may have a problem.

It is the lower leaves and about half way up the vines it trickles out

Back