Hop utilization in a partial boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBeard1

Reaction score
I finished reading Charlie P's Complete Joy of Homebrewing earlier this week and place an order with Midwest for ingredients to make Palilalia IPA. I tweaked the recipe just a bit, using beercalculus.hopville.com aiming for his stated 50 IBUs. This morning, I was reading a little more and realized that the calculations were for a 4 gallon boil, where I can only do a 2 gal max. That will cut my IBUs drastically. How can I increase my IBUs with a small boil?

Two thoughts after reading other threads on the forum.
A) Two boils of two gallons, dividing the ingredients between the them. Then combining them in the carboy with water to top off.

B) One 2 gallon boil with late LME addition to keep the SG low and allow for more hop utilization with the added bonus of less caramelization of the sugars.

What is the best method to achieve the most hop utilization? Or, how is he achieving 50 IBU with his stated 1.5 gallon boil?

Here is a link to the recipe:
Palilalia

We had some ongoing discussions about this yesterday. Yoopers pointed out that the current thoughts are that SG doesn't effect utilization much.

In any case, "B)" I think is the best route since you benefit from less Maillard reaction and better color.

Back