Hop Utilization - Hop Filter versus "Free-Range"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike123

Reaction score
My question is about hop utilization. First to frame my question.
My current process is to toss pellet hops, up to 2 ounces so far, directly into my Keggle during the boil or hop stand....I'm calling this free-range (not sure of the correct terminology); the pellets are in the wort completely so this is the best-case hop utilization possible. At the end of the boil or hop stand I recirculate and at the return port at the top of my Keggle I "catch" the hop trub with a 400 micron basket as shown in the picture. This basket I'm holding is a temporary one until I decide if and what to buy for long term use, something I would not have to hold in place. After I remove the hop trub with the 400 micron filter I can cool the wort through my plate chiller for the hop stand or down to fermentation temperature. I catch hop trub like this for about 5 minutes, which has been enough to not clog the plate chiller. So far this has worked well but I think eventually I am going to clog that chiller. I plan to do hop stands with large quantities of hop pellets, possibly up to 10 ounces, which might clog my pump and plumbing as well, which is 3/8" ID. My question is - If I use a hop filter in the Keggle, during the boil and during the hop stand, to contain my hops so that the hop material is always inside the hop filter and never in the plumbing or pump, how much will that detract from hop utilization? I plan on a large diameter SS hop filter (10 inches) with a 400 micron mesh. This diameter is selected on a hunch that "the bigger the better". Has anyone done this and what was your experience with hop utilization? What diameter and mesh size was your hop filter? Thanks for your patience if you read all this, and any experience you have had with this would be of interest to me. Cheers!
20200322_095901.jpg

Hey mike I think you may lose a bit using the filter when tossing your hops directly into the hop spider . I have one but dont use anymore. I've done NEIPAs with a ton of kettle hops and it took forever to drain. The way your doing it I think your getting full extraction since your just filtering before you trans to the fermenter. What has worked best for me is a false bottom and whirlpooling. I use the Grainfather and I added the false bottom . So I have a filter on the bottom plus the false bottom. It works really well even with lots of hops .

Nice set up you have there !

Hey mike I think you may lose a bit using the filter when tossing your hops directly into the hop spider . I have one but dont use anymore. I've done NEIPAs with a ton of kettle hops and it took forever to drain. The way your doing it I think your getting full extraction since your just filtering before you trans to the fermenter. What has worked best for me is a false bottom and whirlpooling. I use the Grainfather and I added the false bottom . So I have a filter on the bottom plus the false bottom. It works really well even with lots of hops .

Nice set up you have there !
Thanks! I watched a video on the Grainfather. Neat system! I think some call the grain container a "malt pipe". Wort is pulled from the bottom of the kettle, where the electric element is, and adds it back to the top of the mash....and there is an overflow pipe in the center of the mash to prevent element burnout from no wort being present.

Anyway - I believe the reason you added a false bottom is because for large hop loads the Grainfather's bottom filter clogs, and the false bottom catches a lot of the hop trub....right? And the reason you whirlpool is to gather the trub into the center of the kettle bottom to keep as much trub away from that bottom filter/pickup.....right? With all three of these (whirlpool, filter, false bottom) together you are blocking the majority of hop trub from leaving the kettle.

I have been thinking of adding a filter and/or false bottom. I have a few questions if you don't mind. What is the ID of your Grainfather's plumbing, does it ever clog with hop trub, are you using pellet hops, how much wort are you leaving behind in the kettle, and what efficiencies are you getting with your setup? Thanks again Jag, and Cheers!

Yes I added the false bottom because the filter at the bottom plugged on me a couple times and was a pain to get the wort transferred. Yes on the whirlpool. Yes , all 3 of those you listed have been beneficial. As for the id of the plumbing I'm thinking 1/4 or a tad smaller . I'm not sure tbo. I use pellet hops. Since I've added the false bottom I've never had a plug up. The Grainfather is a really good vessel imo. It doesnt leave a ton of wort behind and I'm in the 80's efficiency wise. Heres a pic showing how much the false bottom helps

Attachments

• 20191102_143509.jpg
    20191102_143509.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 14
Back