Hop utilization for partial boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggaleo

Reaction score
Just realized, i'm doing a partial mash and unfortunately due to the size of my kettle, partial boil on eschatz two hearted clone here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/

I'll be adding 3 of 4 pounds extract post boil, and probably be topping fermenter with nearly 2 gallons of water to get to 5.5 after boil off... I bought a pound of centennial because they didn't have 5 single ounces, so I have plenty, should I add an extra half ounce for bittering?

First off, that's a crap ton of centennial . . . not that there's anything wrong with that. Just be sure to keep it in air tight bags in your freezer. Vacuum sealing works best . . . just beware: most common vacuum sealer bags won't work for long term storage. (just means you have to brew more, sooner!)

As for the hops, you might consider adding the extra half oz at 30 mins, as opposed to the full 60.

The good news is that you'll be able to experiment with a second batch if you want, given the extra hops you'll have :)

hah. yeah, for 5 dollars more than 5 one ounce bags I got 11 extra ounces. So I'll be using centennial for bittering for the next few batches. I tried figuring all this out in beersmith and came to the conclusion that on friday, I'm getting a bigger kettle. Still need to brew tonight though and that sounds about right with what I was thinking, so maybe I was closer than I thought to figuring it out

Back