Hop Use Up Dark IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J8D

Reaction score
Brewers,

I am going to do my first IPA in the form of a Dark IIPA (buddy picks the brew, buys the ingredients and I brew for us:)). I have a variety of hops from previous brews. Although I am not experienced enough to know what hops are right or are not right for an IIPA. This is what I have:

1 oz Goldings
1.5 oz Cascade
.5 oz perle
3 oz saaz
1 oz chinook
2 oz magnum
2 oz Willamette
.25 amarillo
1.5 oz Mt Hood

Any guidance or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks and enjoy your summer while it lasts. :rockin:

I brewed my first IIPA as a Dark IIPA as well. Turned out really well. Before I brewed it I got some advice from others on the forms...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/any-really-good-dark-iipa-recipes-182276/

I ended up searching the recipes here for a good solid IIPA and just added 0.5 lbs de-bittered black malt. I ended up with pretty close to a pound of hops in that beer. :D

So would any of them be "bad" for an IIPA? I read that some stay away from perle or saaz for them. Thank you for the replies!!! :rockin:

You will need a lot of hops for a IIPA.
I would use the Magnum and Mt. Hood on the bittering side
Leave out the Saaz and use everything else. Chinook and Amarillo for late flavor and Cascade for dryhop.

Does anyone see any hops that I really SHOULD have in there that I don't have?

Latest posts

Back