Hop treo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1977

Reaction score
I have the following hops available for my next two brews....which would you use, please specify if you feel like
Cream Ale: cascade
Witbier: german tradition and czech saaz

I was thinking of using the german tradition as the bittering hop and czech saaz for the finishing hop for the Witbier. As for the cream ale cascade for bittering and finishing...Thoughts anyone

For the wit, I guess that's fine. That is NOT my forte, though!

For the cream ale, no way I would use cascades. Or at least, not in any quantity at all. A cream ale is an American ale version of a light German lager. No hops nose to speak of, and certainly not citrusy. I'd stick with noble hops for a cream ale, or at least European style hops. Hallertauer mittlefruh, hersbrucker, saaz, sterling, maybe even willamette if necessary, but no US C-hops. Mt hood would be another decent choice.

Now, I LOVE cascade so if it was a beer that was going to be strictly for me and totally out of style for a cream ale, I'd use cascade. Well, then I'd also add some more malt and make it an APA. So, maybe I wouldn't listen to me on that! :D

So...let me ask you this. Could I switch the cascade from the cream ale and use the saaz instead?...and use the cascade as a finishing/aroma hop for the Witbier

So...let me ask you this. Could I switch the cascade from the cream ale and use the saaz instead?...and use the cascade as a finishing/aroma hop for the Witbier

I'm not an expert at all on wits- (hate the stuff, personally) but I would say cascades are out of place there as well.

You could use cascades for bittering either, because much of the American citrus flavor will fade when it's a bittering hop. But I wouldn't use them at all in either beer, and instead save them for an American pale ale or amber.

Back