Hop Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentclint

Reaction score
I want to add a hop tea to my next extract beer kit. I use the Coopers Kits and realize that there is probably something better out there but I still want to use the Coopers kits for now. I want to make a nice citrus tasting latter, since that is the kit I currently have but wanted some suggestions on a citrus type hop that I can add for aroma and flavor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Cascade is usually the standard choice for citrus flavor. If you are using it with a kit, I reckon 1 ounce boiled for about 20min will give you enough flavor. Overboiling of the hops will extract bitterness which may unbalance the kit's intended taste.

For aroma, you can use 0.5 ounces of cascade for 2-3min boil. don't worry about bacteria infection. For fresh hops, bacteria infection is almost impossible. 2-3 min boil will suffice.

Hope this helps!

When I made hop teas to go with the cooper's cans,I did it in the BK with 2G-2.5G of boiling water. !oz in a hop sack for 15 minutes. Remove/drain hop sack,then proceed as usual. I even dry hopped those for a week before bottling with another ounce of hops in a sack. Works pretty well.

Latest posts

Back