Hop Storage of 1# bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
I recently got some hops from Hops direct.

1# Galena
1# Cascade
1# Centennial

I am going to brew this week-end and break one or two open.

I know that light, air can weaken or destroy hops.

My question is shelf life. This will be the first 1# bag I have used instead of the 1oz one you get at AHS.

Here is my plan. Please advise if there is a better way.

Open and use. Seal the bag back as best as possible. Put that bag in a ziplock. Suck as much air out of it as possible. Store in Freezer.

Once I open them and keep them this way.. I know the clock starts ticking but how much time do you think I would have?

Thanks all.
T

Or use a FoodSaver. Buy a box of 8" rolls and you can come on over weigh out & bag your hops. I bag mine in 2 and 4 ounce increments depending on the hops since I do 10 gallon batches.

I agree that breaking down into foodsaver bags is a great idea, as are the other ideas along with yours.

We bought about 5 lbs of hops over five years ago from Freshops and Hops Direct. And then suddenly gave up brewing. Some bags were still factory sealed, some had been opened and then resealed with tape (with the air pushed out as best we could). Some bags were mylar, some were what look like plain old freezer ziplocks. All were kept in the freezer.

When we recently got back into brewing, we used these hops and upped the hop additions by about 50% to accommodate AA loss (our LHBS said to figure 10-20% per year). Big mistake - those first brews are too hoppy. All the hops smell great, and by taste have kept their AA%.

I honestly didn't think hops would last that long, but I'm glad they did! :ban:

Edit: I just checked that calculator, and its telling me that with a hop of original AA% of 5 that my AA% is now less than half after 5 years - 2.13. But our first brews only upped by 50% weight are too hoppy. So I dunno. Now we are just aiming at the high end of the IBU for each style.

I think the food saver idea is probably the best way to go.

Thanks for the advice. I am off today... and I am going to brew up 10gal of Pale.

I just found a foodsaver on Craigslist for 15$ ... It might not be the best one out there.. but hey 15$ to store some hops .. might not be a bad idea.

Ed. Can you reuse the bags? If you are just putting hops or grain in them?

I think the food saver idea is probably the best way to go.

Thanks for the advice. I am off today... and I am going to brew up 10gal of Pale.

I just found a foodsaver on Craigslist for 15$ ... It might not be the best one out there.. but hey 15$ to store some hops .. might not be a bad idea.

Ed. Can you reuse the bags? If you are just putting hops or grain in them?

Yes food saver bags are re-usable. Check ebay for some good prices on bulk bags, there way cheaper that way.

I agree that breaking down into foodsaver bags is a great idea, as are the other ideas along with yours.

We bought about 5 lbs of hops over five years ago from Freshops and Hops Direct. And then suddenly gave up brewing. Some bags were still factory sealed, some had been opened and then resealed with tape (with the air pushed out as best we could). Some bags were mylar, some were what look like plain old freezer ziplocks. All were kept in the freezer.

When we recently got back into brewing, we used these hops and upped the hop additions by about 50% to accommodate AA loss (our LHBS said to figure 10-20% per year). Big mistake - those first brews are too hoppy. All the hops smell great, and by taste have kept their AA%.

I honestly didn't think hops would last that long, but I'm glad they did! :ban:

Edit: I just checked that calculator, and its telling me that with a hop of original AA% of 5 that my AA% is now less than half after 5 years - 2.13. But our first brews only upped by 50% weight are too hoppy. So I dunno. Now we are just aiming at the high end of the IBU for each style.

Read "Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles" by Ray Daniels

he discusses in the hops chapter how althought the alpha acid level drops over time, other bittering compounds increase over time. after 1 year, he uses the same exact amount of hops and doesn't account for loss.

as long as they are sealed air-tight (or as close as you can get) and stored in the freezer, they will last YEARS no problem and i wouldn't even make adjustments.

i've often used the factory (or LHBS) sealed bags and just crinkled them up with binder clips. it works just fine. i have a foodsaver now, but i don't think it makes a huge difference, just saves room and keeps everything nice and neat.

I have some older hops i've used and I have to agree with Ray Daniels, there is still plenty of bittering agents and the flavor doesn't seem to be greatly affected after a year in storage.

Foodsaver to seal and stored in a freezer w/o auto defrost is the best bet.

(CL is great! I found my foodsaver with tons of bags and canisters for $40)

Back