Hop Shot (soup can size)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Strange brew offers the following for $39.99:

Hop Shot 100g Can with 2 Reusable Syringes (CTZ CO2-extracted hop resin)

https://www.amazon.com/Shot-Reusable-Syringes-CO2-extracted-resin/dp/B00ZD8SFE2

Hop shot typically produces 10 ibu per ML, which is a very small quantity. This looks like a very good value if you use this stuff.

I personally am moving more and more to very late addition, whirlpool and dry hopping. I'm also doing some no boil / no chill brewing, where this would be perfect. A 30 minute mash, no boil / no chill makes for about a 45 minute brew day!!!

H.W.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yakima valley sells the same for half the price. I buy a can every year.

Obviously not the solution I was thinking it was....... the alpha only is pretty pricy for what you get it seems..... The bulk hop shot seems like it could have it's uses though

H.W.

Owly you're probably looking for hop oil not extract. As said above, Yakima is far cheaper for extract. It still needs to be boiled to make it soluble.

https://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/CO2HOPExtractCan_p/extractco2hopextractcans.htm

I had thought that the hopshot was basically oils extracted with supercritical CO2.

These large quantity extracts could be extremely useful to have when voyaging and brewing, as they are compact and concentrated, and clearly a little bit goes a long way. I'm if anything more interested. This seems a potentially good way to package hops, as one can obviously represents a LOT of hops. The question that comes to mind is what hops are used, and does the character come through true. For example can I buy Cascade or Hallertau, Northern Brewer, or Nugget, or Amarillo or Mosaic, etc....

H.W.

Oops........... wrote before reading. I went to Yakima Valley and it describes the product as being 60% Columbus, and 40% blended "aroma varieties". It also says 1ML will produce 10 IBU in 5 gallons. Unfortunately it is sold by weight, not volume, so how many ML are in 100G? I will buy a can and try brewing a batch with it exclusively. Bittering addition, followed by "dry hopping" right in the keg, or just prior.

Anybody here play with this stuff yet? I mean seriously experiment with it rather than just using it for bittering........

H.W.

ANOTHER EDIT

My questions are pretty much all answered at the Beersmith website. Below is a snipped of the article that is pertinent to this product. Note that 100G is actually quite a small can, as one gram is roughly equivalent to 1ML.

Using Hop Extracts for Beer Brewing

by Brad Smith on August 31, 2016

http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/08/31/using-hop-extracts-for-beer-brewing/

Using CO2 Hop Extract

The most widely available hop extracts for home brewers are CO2 extracts. These include popular products sold under brand names such as “Hopshot”, “Hop Jizz”, and commercial CO2 hop resins sold in 100 ml cans. For home brewers, these are often packaged in 10 ml syringes, with dosages measured in milliliters. While alpha content can vary, the most popular brands have an alpha content of approximately 60-65%. CO2 extracts preserve much of the original hop aroma, and are a suitable replacement for traditional hops.

CO2 extracts are not isomerized, so you need to boil them just like regular hops to get bitterness. To estimate the bitterness added, you can treat them as a regular hop addition with an alpha content equal to their alpha concentration. For the popular brands this is 60-65% alpha, so I might add a new “Hopshot” hop entry with 65% alpha acid to develop a recipe.

For simplicity you can use the approximate density of 1 gram for 1 ml of hop extract. So adding 1 ml or 1 gram of 65% alpha extract boiled for 60 minutes to a 1.050 OG beer gives around 10 IBUs depending on your exact equipment losses and equation used.

H.W.

For simplicity you can use the approximate density of 1 gram for 1 ml of hop extract.

This seems to be contradictory of what I read in the reviews on Yakima Valley, where someone said that they filled 34 5ml syringes with one can.
Therefore 100g=170ml.

Isomerized extract might be what you are looking for, it is added Post-Fermentation, but not cheap ‎$26.95 for 1oz.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/isohop-bitterness-extract-1-oz.html

https://hopsteiner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/SS_11_10_Iso_Extract_30.pdf

Edit:
Looks Like they say about 25-30 drops to add 10 IBU to a 10 gallon batch

B x V x 0.0117/30 = I
Where B = IBU's required, V = volume of beer in barrels, and I = amount of IsoHop in Liters
For example: Say you want to add 10 IBU's to 10 gallons of beer. A quick Google search for "10 gallons to barrels" gives you the conversion of "10 US gallons = 0.322580645 barrels" - perfect! Now start plugging in the numbers - 10 x 0.3225 x 0.0117 = .0377/30 = .00125 liters, or 1.25ml. If you are bad with a pipette, about 20 drops per ml. The IsoHop has a 90% efficiency rate, so you will need to divide the number in liters by .9 - .00125/.9 = .00138 liters, or 1.38 ml.

I have used the Yakima extract for bittering additions but I would not use it for a dry hop. It's very thick and will float on top of wort/ beer and will not mix in.

You'll need iso alpha extract for post boil use

I bought the Yakima Valley can awhile back. It's not really soupcan sized, more like cat food can. I find it doesn't deliver near the bitterness the formula indicates (unless this is that "soft bitterness" I keep reading about), so I try to get about half my IBUs from a traditional 60 minute addition of pellet hops.

So.... has anyone used the canned one yet? Considering order one to save some bucks, and I'm not sure which is the better choice between this and columbus pellets. Seems like the pellets are a bit cheaper, but heard few top tier NEIPA brewers use these for their bittering. Also, are they actually 100ml? Thinking that the hop extract would be heavier than water, and would be like 1.3g = 1ml.

Back