Hop seeds from purchased rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rxbrewer16

Reaction score
Hi all,
This spring I decided to try growing a few Cascade plants, so I bought 6 rhizomes from he state hop growers association. They grew well, and I harvested a few weeks ago. The cones were decent sized, and all plants produced roughly the same size and quantity of cones (except one that was damaged due to hail). I dehydrated, vacuum sealed, and froze the produce for use in a brew. Well today I thawed 4 oz and used them, my first time using leaf hops. After the first addition I noticed small, tan, roundish floating particles a millimeter or two in diameter. I just figured it was parts of the leaf hop that becomes destroyed during the pellet formation process. Then I got to thinking, are these seeds? I understand the ins and outs of the whole birds and bees thing, but what are the odds of fertilization in a rural town from these 6 female plants? How far away can pollination occur? Maybe they aren't even seeds, but a quick Google search revealed similar looking seeds.

IMG_20171001_151510119.jpg

Those are seeds. Where are you located? Hop is ubiquitous in the Eastern and Midwestern US. There are plenty of wild populations of hop with males that are likely shedding pollen.

All the sources I've ever seen have mentioned that the pollen can travel up to a mile on the wind. And yes, hops are wind pollinated and don't rely on other pollinators.

It is possible your plant is a hermaphrodite. Have you noticed any racemes (male sex organ) on the plant?

Located in North Central nebraska. I've always heard that you shouldn't plant the seeds due to lack of knowing what variety the male is. If I don't really care about specific alpha acid content and just use them in small test batches, there would be nothing wrong with using semi-wold hops right? I haven't seen any male parts on the plants this year.

No, there's no reason to not try. Also, there are wild hops in Nebraska/South Dakota so it's feasible that males are near.

It is possible your plant is a hermaphrodite. Have you noticed any racemes (male sex organ) on the plant?

The male inflorescence of a hop plant (male sex organ if you will) is essentially termed a cymose panicle. In a raceme you don't have a flower on the terminal point of the inflorescence, fyi.

The male inflorescence of a hop plant (male sex organ if you will) is essentially termed a cymose panicle. In a raceme you don't have a flower on the terminal point of the inflorescence, fyi.

Ill be damned, you are right. Ive never examined that, just parroting what Ive read in the literature from several university extensions.

Humulus_lupulus_002.jpg

Don't feel bad, there are so many different types of inflorescences due to the uniqueness of all plants and the nomenclature can become very confusing, especially after a few beers, ha!

Back