Hop Schedule Help: 3 oz Simcoe Hops and 10 lbs of Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postman

Reaction score
Greetings,

I heard a lot about Simcoe hops so I bought 3 oz to experiment with a while back. I also have 9 lbs of 2 row and 1 lb of crystal 40 on hand. What is a good hops schedule to accommodate these ingredients? I like a smooth bitter Pale Ale / IPA. I'm open to anything, not just 3 one ounce additions at 60, 15, 0. Thanks.

Postman

Just slapped this together in Beer Smith. I used the Cal Ale yeast in the software, but always sub in S-05 for it. On the hoppy end of an APA- I'd drink it.

Recipe: Pale Ale for Postman
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (20 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (10 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

Nice! That's exactly what I was looking for & I planned on using the Safale - 05. Obviously, I'm looking for some bitterness, but I wanted to experience the Simcoe flavor and aroma more so. I think this should do it. I really need to become more familiar with Beer Smith. Thanks a ton!

It's brewing away like mad! I actually couldn't resist, I added another 1/2 oz of my garden cascade hops as well, 5 min addition. My temp controlled fridge smells outrageous!

Since I was in a rush the night I brewed, I added the hot and cold break to the fermenter. When I dry hopped the 1oz of Simcoe, I racked to secondary to separate it from the trub/break material. Of course, I tasted the beer as well and I can tell it's going to be a real good one. I'll update when it goes to bottles in another week or so. Thanks.

Best of luck with the Simcoe APA, you'll have a winner. I recently made an all Simcoe IPA with the "boring" hop additions you wanted to avoid, plus an ounce of dryhop and it's got nothing but positive reviews. While the flavor and aroma are great, I'm real happy with how clean my beers are beginning to taste.

Since I was in a rush the night I brewed, I added the hot and cold break to the fermenter. When I dry hopped the 1oz of Simcoe, I racked to secondary to separate it from the trub/break material. Of course, I tasted the beer as well and I can tell it's going to be a real good one. I'll update when it goes to bottles in another week or so. Thanks.

Thanks for the updates. I ordered a bunch of hops from freshops a while ago, and am working through that stash. No more Simcoe in my fridge, so I'll get to this one this fall. I'm interested to see how it turns out!

So the beer is a winner. Outrageous aroma and the proper amount of bitterness. I'm glad I have 2 cases of this stuff. Thanks all for your input. It's a solid recipe and will give you a great clean beer, classic APA.

Since this is my first experience with Simcoe, I'm pleased to say that it is enjoyable. Although it is delicious, I still think I like Cascade's citrus flavor s little more. Thanks again.

Back