Hop Schedule advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiesty

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm about to brew an IIPA and I'm looking for some major IBU's and aroma.

I've got 2 oz Columbus, 2 oz Cascade and 2 oz Chinook. Here's the schedule I've proposed.

1 oz Columbus @ 60min
1 oz Chinook @ 30min
.5 oz Cascade @ 30min
.5 oz Columbus @15min
.5 oz Chinok @15min
1 oz Cascade @15min

Estimated IBUs 106.5

Dry Hop in secondary (.5 oz each of Chinook/Cascade/Columbus)

This will be my fourth batch and 1st IPA, so can anyone see any faults here? I've less of the columbus and chinook as late hope additions as they are high AA, but I've also read they are good multipurpose hops for their aroma characteristics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I will also mention this is an extract brew, with all of my LME at 60min

I love those hops! I would totally change the hops schedule you have- you have a ton of bitterness, but almost no hops flavor or aroma in the schedule. For an IIPA, 6 ounces of hops is a little light though.

I'd do something more like this:
1 oz bittering hops - to about 45 IBUs with this addition
2 oz hops 5 minutes
2 oz hops 0 minutes
dryhop with 2-3 ounces

Also, how much LME/grains do you have in total? You probably want to add the majority of your extract at flame out to avoid a 'cooked extract' twangy taste and darkening of the wort.

is 15 minutes to early for aroma/flavour hops? What is the purpose of 30/15 minute additions then? I thought 60 minute additions were for bittering and 30/15 minute additions were aroma additions.

is 15 minutes to early for aroma/flavour hops? What is the purpose of 30/15 minute additions then? I thought 60 minute additions were for bittering and 30/15 minute additions were aroma additions.

Hops oils will isomerize in boiling, and near boiling, wort. Adding hops before about 20 minutes before the end of the boil means they are contributing to bitterness, but very little to flavor. Hops added at 15 minutes left in the boil are generally considered 'flavor' hops, but they contribute as well to bitterness.

Hops added later in the boil, at 10/5/0 minutes, will contribute somewhat to bitterness but that is where the most hops flavor comes from. At 0 minutes, the hops aroma will also be greater than any bitterness. Many brewers add 'whirlpool' hops- that is, hops added once the boil is finished and the wort chilled to 160-180, and then the hops are allowed to steep in the hot wort for 20 minutes before chilling. In general, the later the hops are added, the greater the hops flavor and aroma in the beer.

Thanks Yooper. I followed the schedule you gave me but it brought the total IBUs down to like 74.

Here's how I revised it

1 oz Columbus @ 60min
.5 oz Columbus @15min
1 oz Chinook @ 5min
.5 oz Cascade @ 5min
.5 oz Chinook @ 0min
1 oz Cascade @0min

(.5oz each for dry hopping)

The .5oz of Columbus at 15min brought the IBU's up to 94 as it is a high AA hop, but 15 minutes should still keep some aroma. Does this seem like it will be more hoppy? Also, how long should I let the hops steep at flameout before chilling?

Back