hop Rod Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i would like to endorse this beer. if you can find it, i highly reccomend it. made by Bear Republic Brewing Co. in Carlsbad, CA. the hop bitterness/fruitiness hits you hard and just as it is about to overwhelm, the rich, rye malt slaps down the hops and finishes out perfectly balnced leaving you craving the next sip.

Hop Rod Rye
Bear Republic Brewing

Recipe for 5 gallons - All Grain

Grains

7.00 lbs. 2-row malt
3.00 lbs. Rye Malt
1.50 lbs. Flaked Rye
22 oz. Munich Malt(2-row)
2 oz. Carafa (or de-bittered black)
0.75 lbs. Dextrine Malt
0.75 lbs. White Wheat Malt

Hops

0.75 oz. Tomahawk Pellet 12.0% AAU 60 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.6% AAU 30 min.
1.75 oz. Tomahawk Pellet 12.0% AAU 15 min.
0.75 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.5% AAU Dry Hop
0.75 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.0% AAU Dry Hop

Yeast

White Labs WLP001 California ale yeast

OG = 1.072
FG = 1.018
Boil time 90 minutes
Primary fermentation 68 degrees for 1 week
Secondary fermentation 45 degrees for 1 week

Mash grains at 152 to 155 degrees for one hour. Raise temp to 165 degrees and hold for 15 minutes for mashout. Sparge at 170 degrees.

Im down with pretty much anything BR puts out. Racer 5 is also a very good brew. If you havent tried it yet, I highly recommend it.:mug:

Racer 5

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
79.2 11.25 lbs. Pale Malt (2 row) Schreier U.S. 1.037 2
11.7 1.66 lbs. Wheat Malt(6-row) US 1.030 2
4.4 0.63 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
3.0 0.42 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0
1.8 0.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt America 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Chinook Pellet 12.00 29.1 90 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Plug 7.30 29.9 60 min.
0.30 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.40 0.0 Dry Hop
0.30 oz. Amarillo Pellet 8.60 0.0 Dry Hop
0.20 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.70 0.0 Dry Hop
0.20 oz. Tomahawk, F-10 Variety Pellet 16.00 0.0 Dry Hop

White Labs WLP001 California ale yeast

Hop Rod Rye is great. My Bent Rod Rye is a 'broken lawnmower' ale that started with a 2/3rds grain bill. Most of what they do is great. When I lived in the SF Bay area, I'd bring it home by the gallon. I had a Racer X a couple years ago at the OBF and it was really harsh, not what I remembered at all.

I don't really enjoy how all of the Bear's beers are kinda caramelly sweet. I drink them when they are in my fridge :D but I always get the same taste in the back of my mouth from them. That said, Hop Rod Rye is tasty!

I did a tasting flight of 13 beers, here are the results.

photo-751135.jpg

Hop Rod rye is second row on the far right if memory serves me right. Either that one or the one next to it. Red rocket was right there too.

it is sweet, but i think the 22 oz bottle is perfect. you wouldn't drink 3-4 pints of this. it was hard to drink my simple IPA after dirnking the bomber of hop rod. i am already studying up on Rye thinking of my next brew.

lol note the saltshaker in the back. I thought the same thing @ first.

Even at 3 ozs each, that sampler will knock you down. It's very easy to go through the whole set in 30 minutes.

BeerCigars
Unfortunately, there are very few companies that make rye malt extract and it's not brewing malt. You could do an mini-mash with the rye malt and some rice hulls.

Out of Rye, I always find it to be more malty than I do spicy. That might just be me though. I drank barely half of those samples becuase I had to drive. It worked, but I found that they all had the same sweetness in the background.

I think more people need to have tastes side by side. To many tastings are only of one thing. Next time you have a hop rod rye, have it alongside another beer. Rye or not.

I have been impressed by Bear Republic as well. Their scottish ale (Red Rocket) is very good. As with other members here I find that their beers are a bit cloyingly sweet. Now I had their pale ale I think it was XP and that was a delicious, light beer.

the "cloyingly" sweetness was a nice base for the spicyness and hop bitterness and flavor in the hop rod.

I agree! My fav. IPA's are HopRod & Victory. I prefer balance in my beer, even the hop bombs! I'm not saying the IPAs with less malt aren't good or really even as good, but I find the one's with a nice malt backbone are more drinkable.

I hear people knock SNPA from time to time for not being hoppy enough or for being too malty. It's not true, it's just balanced & very much defines the style. Sure the PA style has evolved toward less malt backbone (or at the least lighter caramel malts), but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong SNPA.

Schlante,
Phillip

I think more people need to have tastes side by side. To many tastings are only of one thing. Next time you have a hop rod rye, have it alongside another beer. Rye or not.

Bartenders always look at me funny because I often order two different beers for myself at the same time. I learned during wine trainings that side-by-side tastings allow for comparison and a reference point that improves your ability to identify differing flavors and aromas in a beverage. I think drinking two-three beers at a time is a great way to educate your palate and decipher what elements you really want to incorporate into your own recipes and what you want to avoid.
That being said, drinking only 2-3 oz of thirteen different beers is likely to just confuse the hell out of your palate and leave you without any really good impression of any of the beers.

Interesting, I just kegged what we call our "Rye PA" Basically an IPA where we swapped out some grain and add Rye. I love it so I will have to check and see if my HBS has Hop Rod Rye

Back