Hop ripeness video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfarmer

Reaction score
Filmed this last year w Austin. Also do dry matter tests weigh cones wet,dry in food dehydrator overnight,weigh cones dry divide dry into wet that gives you moisture content on most varieties you want to be 23 to 25 percent MC they should have the video feel and sound and most of the grassey smell should be gone.When they are not ripe you will smell lots of chlorophyll It goes away as they ripen Cheers Glen

Last edited by a moderator:
Add my thanks, Glen! The cascades from your organic rhizomes are really thriving and I look forward to harvesting them.

Look i am farmer not a photographer its fun whacking plants Austin almost got my leg Cheers Glen

Thanks for the video.

First year grower here and was wondering when to take my crop in for the year. This helps out a bunch.

Cool video - very helpful indeed! I have Chinook, Centennial and Cascade cones that are as big as the Cascades y'all were crunching but they're definitely not near the "crunchy" stage yet.

One thing I did notice: the cones you were crunching didn't seem to have the "browning tips" I often read about as being indicative of the "ready-to-harvest" state. Any advise on that? Ignore it and stick with the crunch alone?

btw, happy no humans were harmed in the filming! :eek:

Cheers! :mug:

very cool... my first years are coming along... some already have brown tips, but they are small... a couple of them are like 1.5" long... Very cool

They were turning just a little I judge ripeness both by testing,looks and feel.We do dry matter tests then when we think they are close we send them to a lab.

Back