Hop Rhizomes...What should I carry at my garden center?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatal_degree

Reaction score
I own a garden center in southern Michigan and it's planting season at the greenhouse. I've been on the fence about offering already growing hop plants at my store. Well, this year I have decided to offer a small selection. Since I am still very green when it comes to brewing I thought this question would be a good one for all you seasoned brewers.

I would like to keep it to 6 varieties or less this year.
My thought is to offer the most commonly used types of hops. Perhaps from the major style regions; German, English, Belgian, American,(???)......

Unfortunately my understanding of what constitutes the major regions and would cover the different styles from those subsequent places is darned foggy!

SO, to all of you that are passionate about your technical grasp on the topic...What is your list of 6 must haves?

I'm no expert, but I would carry what is popular, Cascade, Centennial, etc... Also, I would research what hops grow well in your area.

It is unlikely that at this stage you are going to be able to get a good deal on rhizomes. The pre order season has pretty much passed and the retail, dried out and needy plants are pretty much all that will be left. If your planning this for a business, a little more forethought might have been in order. You need a way to cool and keep the rhizomes moist and a way or plan to insure they do not get moldy and start to go bad. As an investment in inventory it can be a disaster if you get a bad batch. Next season, look into the pre-orders from several large hop fields and see if you cannot arrive at a good commercial price that will allow you to offer a quality rhizome for reasonable money. Pleas dont think I am putting you down or talking down to you, I just want your attempt to be a success so you can offer it to your customers for a long time to come. Success breeds success.
Bob

It is unlikely that at this stage you are going to be able to get a good deal on rhizomes. The pre order season has pretty much passed and the retail, dried out and needy plants are pretty much all that will be left. If your planning this for a business, a little more forethought might have been in order. You need a way to cool and keep the rhizomes moist and a way or plan to insure they do not get moldy and start to go bad. As an investment in inventory it can be a disaster if you get a bad batch. Next season, look into the pre-orders from several large hop fields and see if you cannot arrive at a good commercial price that will allow you to offer a quality rhizome for reasonable money. Pleas dont think I am putting you down or talking down to you, I just want your attempt to be a success so you can offer it to your customers for a long time to come. Success breeds success.
Bob

Thanks for the detailed insight. It sounds like you have experience with ordering from somewhere that sent you moldy rhizomes. It would be nice to know of any suppliers that I should avoid.

I am not looking to plant of field of these things, or do any sort of mass production based on humulus as a singular crop offering at my business. I am interested in offering a small selection for those individuals that have expressed an interest in already growing starts. Not everyone is confident growing a plant from a rhizome....most people don't understand the distinction between rhizome, tuber, bulb and seed. Much in the same way that most people don't understand the distinction between Budweiser and a good craft brew.

I have experience with vernalized plants and with field dug plants. The regions that those would be shipped from are the same ones that supply many of the other field dug stock that is JUST NOW becoming available for distribution. I find it more likely that the rhizomes were dug dormant in the autumn, vernalized in large climate controlled coolers and then shipped during the "average" spring growing season. Which you are correct, comes at a time in Michigan that leaves me picking up the tail end of the stock.

I am only interested in 50-100 rhizomes. To have a small selection on hand, containerized, for a customer to purchase a thriving plant to add to their garden. Much in the same way a person would choose a fruit tree or a couple blueberry bushes....I assure you I am not constructing a business model that will be supported by hops alone!

It sounds like you have an analytical mind.... what would you suggest? If you were to purchase 6 plants to fill your brewing needs, what would those be?

If you were to purchase 6 plants to fill your brewing needs, what would those be?

Cascade, CTZ, Nugget, EKG, Sterling, and Centennial. All can be grown in warmer climates. That's what I have going right now. Basically covers all the beers I brew: English, Belgian, and American. Can't wait to brew a CAP with the Sterling and corn I grew next fall.

I'm no expert, but I would carry what is popular, Cascade, Centennial, etc... Also, I would research what hops grow well in your area.

Thank You. That is helpful. Being an adventurous and stubborn gardener, I like to test the limits of "what will grow". I have three rosemary plants that are eeasily two zones out of their "hardiness". At the same time I want my customers to be successful in their gadening endeavors!!

That is exactly what I was looking for....the varieties that are most used...that, if you were shopping for a plant that would produce hops for your brews, you would want to buy!

Cascade, CTZ, Nugget, EKG, Sterling, and Centennial. All can be grown in warmer climates. That's what I have going right now. Basically covers all the beers I brew: English, Belgian, and American. Can't wait to brew a CAP with the Sterling and corn I grew next fall.

Sweet, thanks...

What is your hardiness zone where you're growing? Have you noticed a particular change in the weather this year? How long have you had your hops in?

Sweet, thanks...

What is your hardiness zone where you're growing? Have you noticed a particular change in the weather this year? How long have you had your hops in?

I'm zone 7. Hell yes I have noticed some changes in the weather, completely bizarre stuff. We pretty much had no winter, and last summer was cool with rain practically every other day, instead of the 2 months of heat and drought we usually have. Hopefully it's not climate change, but I've never witnessed anything like it and I've lived here my whole life.

I planted half last year and half this year, so I can't personally say that all of them grow well, but I've talked to hop farmers in the area and everything I've read says that these hops will do well.

Basically, you will get greater yields/better results with American strains than you will trying to grow noble hops here. I'm not saying don't grow them, just that American strains are very robust and vigorous.

I'm zone 7. Hell yes I have noticed some changes in the weather, completely bizarre stuff. We pretty much had no winter, and last summer was cool with rain practically every other day, instead of the 2 months of heat and drought we usually have. Hopefully it's not climate change, but I've never witnessed anything like it and I've lived here my whole life.
......QUOTE]

WOW....CRAZY weather!! It's sorta nice to know my region isn't alone. I'm in Michigan where it's either zone 5B or 6A depending on the chart you read. But we didn't have winter either. I have Goriza rosemary, rated a solid zone 8, and it's still fresh and alive. Even the citrus trees, I have as houseplants, got left outdoors until December.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope your yield is a good one!

I have been told by most people that the major wine grapes won't grow where I live either (Cabernet, Merlot, Malbec, Sav.Blanc, etc...). Though proclaimations like these should be given some regard, there is often a disparity of understanding between the individual that wants to grow 5 plants and have something to show for their efforts, and the industrial scale operation that is looking to make their balance sheet work consistently with a monoculture.

I know for a fact that the Michigan State University Agricultural Sciences is working with the "ungrowable" varieties of grapes to determine how to make them a viable option for commercial production in our state. That alone makes me sceptical when people tell me that something can't be done. It's almost never a matter of "can't". It's more often a matter of what one is willing to do for the reward.

Hopefully it's not climate change, but I've never witnessed anything like it and I've lived here my whole life.
QUOTE]

If I recall correctly, there were some pretty massive volcanic erruptions last year... I know those have a global effect. Perhaps this year we can devise to split the rain and heat evenly, ha...ha... wouldn't that be ideal!

I currently have 3 cultivars. Cascade, Chinook and Nugget. I am planning a large diameter thick walled pipe on either side of the plot to suspend a line with independant down lines to each bine. Most hop plants do best when pruned to about 4 bines per rhizome. First year plants generally do not produce much but 2nd year and beyond should do extremely well. Check out Hopville to see what they have in stock and if they have any excess from their pre-order drive they did last month. Good luck, maybe we can trade some hops when mine start producing. Have fun.
Bob

Can't go wrong with the American C hops varieties to start. Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, Columbus! Should all grow well in your area. Should be good sellers also based on their popularity for use in ales for both bittering and flavor/aroma.

Back