hop % question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0808

Reaction score
getting ready to brew Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

and these are the hop additions.

Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

now my cascades are 5%

just woundering if i should add some more to bring up the ibu's and what addition or additions i should tweak.

thanks

Great beer! This recipe was my first all-grain batch.

To answer your question, yes, I would increase the hops to reach the target IBU. The easiest way to do this would be to increase your 60 minute addition to about 1.5 oz. That will cover the approximate IBU difference for the whole brew, and the flavor/aroma contribution for the 30, 15, 5 additions will be just fine with your 5% cascades (they shouldn't significantly depend on alpha).

Good luck, and enjoy!

EternalHoppiness already answered your question .
But this might help in the future
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-4.html
Calculating Alpha Acid Units
AAUs are a good way to state hop additions in your recipes. By specifying the amount of alpha acid for each addition, rather than e.g. 2 oz of Cascade, you don't have to worry about year to year variation in the hop. An AAU is equal to the % AA multiplied by the weight in ounces.

For Example:
1.5 oz of Cascade at 5% alpha acid is 7.5 AAUs. If next year the alpha acid percentage in Cascade is 7.5%, you would only need 1 oz rather than 1.5 oz to arrive at the same bitterness contribution.

Latest posts

Back