Hop Pole is up...need some input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I finally got my hop pole up and now need some help/recommendations for someone new to growing. My initial plan was to buy 4 plants (2 centennial, 2 cascade) and separate them every 2 feet on the jute twine I am going to put up. Seemed like it may be worth my time to see if that is an 'okay' strategy.

So the 2 real questions 1) Is 2' apart appropriate for 2) is planting a variety of plants next to each other good/bad/indifferent? ie: would I be okay with 3...or even 4 different plants if I went that route for whatever reason?

Thanks in advance. Here is the pole. It is 14' tall and 8' wide. Each brace is 4'. That is an 8' ladder for reference (the box/plants in front belong to my wife...hops will not be planted in that box)

Hop Pole.jpg

So, will the hops be planted behind?

I built a similar trellis, but with a longer post across the top. I tried to leave at least 2 feet between different varieties at the eyebolts the twine was tied to on the post. I left more space at ground level. Basically fanning out, so the sidearms would have more space at the bottom.

I'm a first year grower as well, but from what I've been told and what I've read, there is a good chance the hops will get tangled up if you get them much closer. And they'll grow together near the top as well, as they grow along the length of the T-post. So, for the dimensions you went for, 2 varieties might be the most you could potentially keep separate. And even that might be difficult near the top of the trellis.

Growing hops at a backyard scale definitely requires some compromise. So, if you are OK with them growing together a bit, then go for 2 varieties. If you don't want to try to sort out which cones are from which plant, just stick with one variety.

Either way, give the plants plenty of space at ground level to get lots of air flow to avoid mildew growth.

That is really helpful....thank you.

I think I may just stick with one variety after reading that.....if you had it to do over again would you choose one?

I tried posting from my phone earlier, but apparently I screwed it up and it didn't come through.

Anyway, my setup is a little different. For one, my T-post is 10' long, so I have a little more lateral space than you have. Also, I have plants off each end of T and only 2 plants on either side of the T. So, I have a lot of space between plants at ground level. and at least 2' or more between the top of the twine for different varieties. Here's a link to the thread I started showing my trellis design. I just realized I should update it with some more pics of the progress the plants have made.

With that box in front of your trellis, your ability to space the plants out all around the trellis is limited. Unless your wife is ok with planting hops in front of that box and running twine up to the front of the trellis so the hops grow right over top of the box. (I'm guessing that'd be a no go) But if you are OK with putting plants off the ends of your T-post, you could potentially have enough separation in the middle to do 2 plants each of 2 varieties.

If you go for that, put both plant of the same variety pretty far off from center, and you can run the twine back at an angle. Just leave 2.5' to 3' of space at the top between the different varieties. That should allow space for decent sidearm growth. They will most likely be at least brushing up against each other, but hopefully not wrapped around and tangled.

It is just a matter of deciding how frustrated you might get if they do end up getting tangled up around the top.

Of course, I'm a first year hop grower as well, so there might be more that I haven't thought of or run into on my own yet. Although, I have read a ton about trellis systems and hop growth as I came up with my plan.

Back