Hop Plant Aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy0498

Reaction score
I have a silly question. Taking my first stab at growing hops this year and want to grow them up the side of my pergola. SWMBO is concerned about the smell around the deck. While I would love nothing more than to have a nice hop scented deck, she can't stand the smell of hops. She complains every time I have a few ounces of hops stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

So my question is...is there a noticable hoppy aroma that comes off of the plant?

I have a silly question. Taking my first stab at growing hops this year and want to grow them up the side of my pergola. SWMBO is concerned about the smell around the deck. While I would love nothing more than to have a nice hop scented deck, she can't stand the smell of hops. She complains every time I have a few ounces of hops stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

So my question is...is there a noticable hoppy aroma that comes off of the plant?

No, not until they are ripe and ready for picking- and even then you have to rub them between your hands to get the lupulin glands to smoosh up and then you can smell the hops (plus your hands smell awesome).

Yooper is right. You have nothing to worry about. The hop plants themselves don't smell at all, even when the cones are on the bines.

The view from my office, late July last year...
20130808_182319.jpg

It'd be nice if there was more than just the "green" smell, but that's all there's been, year after year.

And the closest four plants are Chinook...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back