Hop pairings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamsdm1111

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using simcoe and Columbus in my next ipa. Just curious if anyone has paired them and how it turned out.

Thanks

Ever had Pliny the Elder? That beer is bombed with simcoe and Columbus. Huge dank piney aroma and flavors, personally something I love

I used columbus,nugget,& cascade in my first AE IPA,thanks to nordeastbrewer77's advice. Try replacing the nugget with amarillo in my recipe for more orange/tropical flavors. This time around,I'm doing it PB/PM BIAB style to try to get a PM version of the malt profile...allbeit a bit more complex. I then used all NZ hops from bittering to flavor additions. It'll be dry hopped with the same three hops used for flavoring in the boil. Then it can be tasted & smelled for a more complete experience.

gcdowd said:
Ever had Pliny the Elder? That beer is bombed with simcoe and Columbus. Huge dank piney aroma and flavors, personally something I love

I haven't. It is on the top of my "to try" list though. Today is brew day!! I'm going for it I think. I also have a little leftover cascade...

So, it turned out great. I really like the pairing here. I under carbed it a bit, but it tastes great. Maybe my favorite home brew yet.

7 lbs pale lme
1 lb light dme
.8 oz crystal 60
.8 oz cara-pils
1 oz simcoe @ 60
1 oz Columbus @ 30
1 oz simcoe @ 15
1 oz Columbus @ 5
1 oz simcoe dry hop 7 days

US- 05

I did Simcoe and Cascade.... so far been the beer that everyone has liked. Nice citrusy flavor. I would add more though. Did 1 oz cascade at 60 and 1 oz simcoe at 30. Think i'd do 1.5 and 1.5, then a late addition of .5 and .5. Would love to dry hop w .5 oz of each too.

Back