Hop Pairings: What goes good with Simcoe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pliny is a dated recipe at this point and is more complicated overall. That said, it is still the grandfather of IPA's and should be respected as such. Respect your elders! It is the beer that started the development of the style from a rather bland English interpretation to the bold American one it is now.

Personally I think the Duet is a fantastic IPA as it is not as complicated and the relative overall simplicity shines through. I went to both breweries over xmas and I would say the Duet is the better beer as well. My recipe is not a clone per se as I was not able to talk to them there but it is my tribute to what is a truly awesome IPA. I hope if you brew it, you will get something even close to as special as the Duet.

MuddyMo said:
Thank for the info, much appreciated!

I found it interesting that Alpine Duet was picked as the favorite IPA (over Pliny!) by a rather large gathering of hop heads back in March.

I've had almost all of those beers myself. Pliny is treated as the be all end all of IPAs and it deserves it. But it's also a DIPA and I generally don't like them as much as standard IPAs. Duet and sculpin are almost mirror images of each other. Both are simcoe/amarilllo blends. Both great beers.

For the record, younger isn't that good. It's well made. Huge, hoppy, and balanced for an 11% beer. It's also a palate killer. That placing might've depended on when it was drank. You can't drink much of it whereas elder is a drinkable, truly enjoyable beer. Uberhoppy is the only DIPA ive had with it's level of hoppiness and drinkability. Basically I'm saying, don't take his word as gospel. We all have different palates. Nelson being rated that low is just wrong.

Agree, Nelson is fantastic. It deserves props.

IMG_0031.jpg

rayg said:
It can be done, but it requires some care: not letting the hops sit
too long and with high gravity beers only.

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

Ray

I disagree. I've had lower gravity beers that worked great with big late hop additions. Drakes 1500 for example. 5.5% abv yet late hopped like a DIPA. Very drinkable and comes across like an IPA without the extra weight. I've also brewed with the help of a local brewmaster a 5.3% hoppy pale using only pilsner and Vienna malt (70/30) and hit it with 2oz of Nelson sauvins at KO and 2oz in dry hop. Came out wonderfully.

I disagree. I've had lower gravity beers that worked great with big late hop additions. Drakes 1500 for example. 5.5% abv yet late hopped like a DIPA. Very drinkable and comes across like an IPA without the extra weight. I've also brewed with the help of a local brewmaster a 5.3% hoppy pale using only pilsner and Vienna malt (70/30) and hit it with 2oz of Nelson sauvins at KO and 2oz in dry hop. Came out wonderfully.

This is what I'm shooting for as well. Racked to secondary Monday and added 2oz of Cascade in a hop sack w/marbles and will bottle this Saturday. Bitterness is just across the line at 48 IBU's and I'm hoping for around 5.5% as well. Going to be hard to wait for full carbonation.

They are both allegedly good bittering hops but I haven't used Amarillo for bittering at all and Simcoe only once (and I way overhopped that beer so...). I have about 3/4 lb of each and won't have a problem using up the Amarillo but will prob have this Simcoe around for a looooong time. They're just way too cat-pissy for me.

Yes Simcoe can be,,,and by the way, nice link on my taste in beer brewing,,, I split the Simcoe with Cascade in the boil and the hop duo so far is giving a great flavor without numbing my tastebuds. Bottling Saturday and then the clock starts ticking.:ban:

Bottled my Simcoe-Cascade collaboration today. Highs and lows:worried about my efficiency, yup, 3.9%ABV, 60.6 IBU's, and a flavor...OK I drank the beer in the Hydrometer tube, and drank what was left in nthe bottling bucket that wouldn't fill a botle. My new favorite! Just need to work on that effeiciency.:rockin:

Bottled my Simcoe-Cascade collaboration today. Highs and lows:worried about my efficiency, yup, 3.9%ABV, 60.6 IBU's, and a flavor...OK I drank the beer in the Hydrometer tube, and drank what was left in nthe bottling bucket that wouldn't fill a botle. My new favorite! Just need to work on that effeiciency.:rockin:

Here's to enjoying the Hydro sample.:mug:

Had several bottles during the Super Bowl. Little early, but, oh my it was quite tasty. Great lace on the glass, lots of hops without numb-tongue. I'm going to have a blast playing around with this recipe...I love it!:ban:

Had several bottles during the Super Bowl. Little early, but, oh my it was quite tasty. Great lace on the glass, lots of hops without numb-tongue. I'm going to have a blast playing around with this recipe...I love it!:ban:

Congrats on a great Cascade/Simcoe brew!

I think what I would like to do is add some Amarillo for version II, see how that changes it, then mix in some Cascade in version III.

Congrats on a great Cascade/Simcoe brew!

I think what I would like to do is add some Amarillo for version II, see how that changes it, then mix in some Cascade in version III.

I have the recipe for he basic Pale Ale, yeah, it would be interesting to try the Amarillo in place of the Simcoe to taste the difference. Having used Simcoe, I sure would hate to over-do it. I'll have to upgrade my membership so I can post a photo.:mug:

Back