Hop Identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genacide

Reaction score
I'm an idiot, I'll just start with that. I arrived home with 2 bags with Mt Hood in 1 and Centennial in the other. I took all 4 of the rhizomes out to inspect them and immediately knew I had messed up and no longer knew what each one was.

One of the rhizomes was much longer and thicker than the rest so I cut it in half and planted it into 2 pots I could identify later, Hop1 and Hop2 in the photos. So I'm asking for any help in identify which is the other plant from this variety and which variety each is. 1 and 2 I know are the same and I believe 3 to be the same variety, leaving 4 and 5 to be the other variety, do people agree? Secondly which ones are Mt Hood and which ones are Centennial?

Many Thanks

Hop1.JPG

Hop2.JPG

Hop3.JPG

Hop4.JPG

Hop5.JPG

It's easier to tell looking at the hop cone, so you may have to wait. However, I've got both of these growing at home, I can check leaf shape later this day and get back to you.

Looking at the leaves 1,2 and 5 have a bit broader leaf sections and 3 and 4 narrower and longer.

As to which is which you might need to wait until harvest, add some to a light beer, like UGH, Bud Light. Add a little of a commercial hop to one and yours to another, making four tests to match them up.

Looking at the leaves 1,2 and 5 have a bit broader leaf sections and 3 and 4 narrower and longer.

As to which is which you might need to wait until harvest, add some to a light beer, like UGH, Bud Light. Add a little of a commercial hop to one and yours to another, making four tests to match them up.

I noticed the leaf differences in terms of shape, but 4 and 5 seem to have 5 segments to the leaf while 1,2, and 3 have only 3 segments.

I noticed the leaf differences in terms of shape, but 4 and 5 seem to have 5 segments to the leaf while 1,2, and 3 have only 3 segments.

Are you sure you only have 2 varieties. I see 1 and 2 being the same, 3 looks different than 1 and 2, 3 and 4 look similar and 5 looks different than any of the others???

Good luck, You may have to wait to do a taste test. There should be enough difference that you will be able to tell after the harvest.

I would say your hops are:
pic 1. mt hood
pic 2. mt hood
pic 3. centennial
pic 4. centennial
pic 5. mt hood

Back