Hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppedUpSean

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently made and extract all chinook IPA from the chinook hops I grow in my garden. As I only had enough speciality grains and malt extract for a 3 gal brew I had to cut the original recipe in half and made a 2.5 gal brew. Is that okay to do? Was it okay to cut the hops used in the brew in half as well? In other words the recipe called for hop addition as follows:
1 oz for 60min, 1/2 oz for 10 min, 1/2 oz for 1 min, and 1 oz dry hop and I added 1/2 oz @60, 1/4 oz @10, and 1/4 oz @1 min. Have I screwed up this brew and wasted good hops?

As I only had enough speciality grains and malt extract for a 3 gal brew I had to cut the original recipe in half and made a 2.5 gal brew. Is that okay to do? Was it okay to cut the hops used in the brew in half as well?

Yes, and conversely, if you wanted to do a 10 gallon batch, you simply double the ingredients.
:mug:

If the recipe is set up for a full boil you might lose some hop utilization due to the smaller water volume of a 2.5 gallon boil. But even if that is the case its probably not a huge difference. If you always do a partial boil it won't matter at all.

Back