Hop forward IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
I want to make my next ipa with a lot of hop flavor and moderate bitterness kind of like new school from southern tier. Thinking of adding hops just three times 60 minute, whirlpool and dry hop. Shooting for OG of 1.065 how many ibus should i be looking at for the 60 minute addition 35 to 50 ?

That is a personal taste kind of question. It might take you a couple of IPA's to see where you like the bittering addition to be. For me, as a general rule of thumb, I like to take my OG and divide by 2 to get my bittering addition IBU's.

So in your case 1.065 becomes 65/2 = 32.5 IBU's from the 60 min addition. I would round that down to 30 and call it a day. Your whirlpool and dry hop will still impart some bitterness so it won't come off as sweet. Just remember to toss a ton of hops in at the end and it should come out good.

I've made this before and I was really happy with it. It's probably nothing like Nu School, but it has a ton of hop flavor. You can probably leave the flour out of the mash and I think he said that he wouldn't use flaked corn the next time he made it. This recipe has about 50 IBUs from the 60 minute addition, but you can cut that down (or leave it out!)

There is also this clone for Treehouse brewing's Julius, which is a juicy, late-hopped IPA with restrained bitterness. It has half an ounce of colombus at 10 minutes and everything else is whirlpool and dry hop.

Think I will go with 30 IBU going to make a 15 gallon batch was planning on using three 8oz packs of hops from yakima valley for my whirlpool and dry hop thinking of

8 oz Citra
8 oz of Mosaic
8 oz either motueka, kohatu, el dorado,

Back