Hop Clip Tool/Gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afr0byte

Reaction score
So, I was thinking for next year it might be nice to get a clipgun/tool to secure my strings in to the ground (I just have stakes now, but they're not all the way in, so training isn't always easy in the beginning). I'm wondering, do any of you folks out there use one? If so, how do you choose where to insert the clip so as not to hurt the hop plant roots?

How many plants are you talking? They sell these "w" clips that shove in the ground but we don't use them because it gets expensive. I believe Halifaxhops was selling some on this forum a bit ago if you are interested. They bring the twine right to the ground.

We tie it to a wire we have about a foot off the ground. Yeah, it takes a bit longer for the hops to be ready for training but its a lot easier.

Just offset it a bit. Once the crown is 3 or so years old, you don't have to worry much. I've seen PNW growers take the twine, wrap it over the end of a spade and shove it right into the crown to anchor. Its big...it will recover.

How many plants are you talking? They sell these "w" clips that shove in the ground but we don't use them because it gets expensive. I believe Halifaxhops was selling some on this forum a bit ago if you are interested. They bring the twine right to the ground.

We tie it to a wire we have about a foot off the ground. Yeah, it takes a bit longer for the hops to be ready for training but its a lot easier.

Just offset it a bit. Once the crown is 3 or so years old, you don't have to worry much. I've seen PNW growers take the twine, wrap it over the end of a spade and shove it right into the crown to anchor. Its big...it will recover.

I'm only talking about four plants. I Probably won't bother, I guess I was more interested in the avoiding damaging the plan aspect. It's certainly not an economic thing, more of a cool factor thing...and they gun is only about $50 + clips

I still wouldn't bother. Just a piece of wood that could degrade stuck in as close as you can to the plant would be fine.

Then again, I'm sure you could find other things to shoot with the clipgun.

Back