Hop Bag Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeRatBastards

Reaction score
I currently do 5 gallon batches in a Keggle. I am planning on putting together the typical hop bag out of PVC, Paint Strainer bag, etc. like the one BM is using in this pic:
9403d1232925548-just-another-brew-day-pics-wit_boil.jpg

My question is will a 5 gallon paint strainer bag reach far enough down into the keggle to actually make contact with the boiling wort if I'm only doing a 5 gallon batch?

I just want to be sure before I go spend the cash on the parts.

Thanks.

Absolutely, and yes. I do this all the time. The bag will hang within an inch of the bottom of the keg bottom. Also, you should drop a chunk of copper pipe (or similar) in there to keep the rising bubbles from floating the bag.

Passedpawn is right. You should not have any problem doing a 5gal batch. I use it in my setup all the time.

Here is my bag in a 6.5gal boil...

Hop_Bag_5gal.jpg

Cheers! :tank:

Thanks guys! Now to actually find a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I asked at Home Depot yesterday, got a bunch of blank stares and then was brought to the 1 gallon bags and told that's all they have.

Thanks guys! Now to actually find a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I asked at Home Depot yesterday, got a bunch of blank stares and then was brought to the 1 gallon bags and told that's all they have.

Weird. Check Lowes. Or just go to a paint store (i.e., sherwin williams). Sears. Tru-Value or other small hardware store.

Lowes has packs of 3 for 4 bucks or so....

I found mine didn't reach far enough, but I didn't use a hose clamp, just looped it over the top of the PVC, so I had less hanging down. Then I decided if I just lowered the PVC down farther, it would work, so I built some brackets to lower the PVC down into the pot a bit....then during a disastrous brew day I dropped the damn PVC thing into the wort twice, and it got all melty, and now I just don't give a crap and don't use it.

I guess my advice after that mini-rant is use a hose clamp or something so more can hang down...

I currently do 5 gallon batches in a Keggle. I am planning on putting together the typical hop bag out of PVC, Paint Strainer bag, etc.
My question is will a 5 gallon paint strainer bag reach far enough down into the keggle to actually make contact with the boiling wort if I'm only doing a 5 gallon batch?

Is there better hops utilization or less trub with this method? I just started brewing full boils in my keggle and have been using the standard hops bags for my hops additions but would be willing to go the 5 gal. paint strainer and PVC route if it is better for my brew. Any comments on this?

BTW, what size PVC pipe are homebrewers using?

thanks
axr

Is there better hops utilization or less trub with this method? I just started brewing full boils in my keggle and have been using the standard hops bags for my hops additions but would be willing to go the 5 gal. paint strainer and PVC route if it is better for my brew. Any comments on this?

BTW, what size PVC pipe are homebrewers using?

thanks
axr

Some say you take a hit in utilization, (i.e., lower utilization using a bag), others say no change. Less trub yes, because it keeps all the hop material out of the trub.

You use the PVC route instead of bags because it's open at the top, so you can just dump stuff in whenever you want, instead of going through multiple bags or having to fish out your bag and add more to it.

Some say you take a hit in utilization, (i.e., lower utilization using a bag), others say no change. Less trub yes, because it keeps all the hop material out of the trub.

You use the PVC route instead of bags because it's open at the top, so you can just dump stuff in whenever you want, instead of going through multiple bags or having to fish out your bag and add more to it.

Thanks for this info shortyjacobs. Do you know what size PVC pipe to use? From the OP pics, it looks like 3 or 4"?

axr

It's some sort of flange. 6" opening. I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was used for. It has a lip that is perfectly suited to hold the hop bag and large hose clamp.

I just made an pale ale with 5 separate hop additions, 10 min apart. With The Sparky, just toss it in. How do others do this without The Sparky?

Regarding utilization: I've used disposable muslin bags in the past and I haven't seen any change in utilization.

I like calling it The Sparky :D

I have been using Sparky's paint strainer method for a while. For all of you who have not used a plate chiller because you are afraid of a clog, this is the solution. I also pass the wort from the Mash tun to the boil kettle through the filter when sparging.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I ended up finding a paint strainer bag at Ace. Here is the finished product in action:
TheStugots02.jpg

Latest posts

Back