Hop and Yeast Suggestions for Stout/Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I am planning my first crack at a real robust stout/porter extract recipe and I could use some suggestions on hops and White labs yeast. I'd like the beer to be very roasty and full bodied, but not overly alcoholic. Malty, but not overly sweet like a milk stout.

The basic recipe is as follows:

Final Volume: 5 Gallon Batch

Fermentables:
6 lb Dark Malt LME
and 1lb Gold or Light DME

Specialty Grains:
3/4 lb Roasted Barley
1/2 lb Briess Caramel 80 or 1/4 lb Special B
1/2 lb Flaked or Rolled Oats
1oz Black Patent or 2 oz Carafa III
1/4 lb Chocolate Malt (Leftover)

Hops:
Im wondering how much hops to use, if 1 oz for 60min will be enough, and if I should add aroma (5min) hops at all. I don't want the beer to be hoppy, but I want to make sure I have a well balanced beer. Would 1 ounce of Challenger, Magnum, Kent Goldings, Fuggle, or Willamette Hops for 60mins be sufficient?

Yeast:,
I'd like to try White labs for this brew;
Varieties 2, 4, or 5 seem to be good options, any suggestions on these three?

thanks for input!!

If you're looking for something with an earthy, autumnal character, I'd suggest Fuggle hops. I had my first experience with them not long ago, and was amazed at the images they brought up.

As for the amounts and time for the hops, my brew was 1 gallon, but my sources proscribe this for a 5-gallon batch of chocolate/maple porter with a 1-hour boil:

2oz Fuggle hops

Add 3/4 of the hops (1.5oz) at the start of the boil
Add the remaining hops (.5oz) 45 minutes into the boil

The amount/time might need a little tweaking as per your requirements, but it is a place to start.

Hope this helps - I was really impressed. the aroma had me thinking all night of autumn and early winter, as well as spring when the snow melts. The next morning, walking to my car, I caught a whiff of the leaves blwoing in the wind, and was taken right back to the boiling of the wort the previous evening....

Latest posts

Back