Hop additions at 0 min question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
OK so I'm going to be brewing Amarillo Pale Ale kit from Midwest and it calls for "adding 1 oz Amarillo aroma hops and remove from heat"...How long do I let that sit in the wort before cooling? This is only my 2nd home brew and everything I have read has said to cool the wort as fast as possible...

So how long do I leave the aroma hops in for? Should I add them in the hop bag and leave the whole hop bag in the wort or remove the the hop bag and just add the aroma hops?

Thanks for any advice!

I suggest into the hop bag at 0 minutes, cool wort immediately using chiller or ice bath. Remove hop bag just before you pour cooled wort into your primary fermenter. It's my standard practice for all 0 minute hop additions and works for me!

I've had great results adding after I've chilled a little.

Chill down to ~160F as fast as possible to get a good cold break, then toss in the hops and chill slowly over 20-30mins or so...think of it as a warm steep. You get a lot of the more delicate oils that would otherwise be driven off at higher temps.

toss in the hops and chill slowly over 20-30mins or so...think of it as a warm steep.

While I have yet to do this myself, I have definitely read of others doing a steep for ~20 minutes before further cooling/adding yeast. I'd be interested to hear of others successes/failures with this method.

Be sure to use a hop bag. My last batch I didn't use a hop bag with my 0 min hops and there was a lot of trub. I won't make that mistake again.

For aroma and/or flavor contribution, you need to get rid of the heat quite quickly. Hence a 0 minute addition means - at the very least - off boil - and preferably chill quickly while steeping until transfer to primary and pitching.

Boiling hops for any serious length of time is for bittering puposes only. Any aroma or flavor is destroyed. Over exposing finishing hops to heat for a small yet too long a period of time achieves nothing - it kills the flavor / aroma contribution, plus is insuffcient time to extract any additional bitterness.

I have run comparisons with otherwise same recipe beers with final additions at 10 minutes, 5 minutes and 0 minutes for the finishing hops. The difference is spectacular. All depends on what you want to achieve... Dry hopping while fermenting adds yet more in terms of aroma (but no flavor or true bitterness).

Back