Hop Addition during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STFulton1

Reaction score
When adding several different hops at various times...
Do you leave all of them in for the entire boil and add at different intervals or when you add the next one, do you remove the last one?

Just for clarity I would like to add that normally recipes will say something like:

60min HopVariety - 1st addition
30min HopVariety - 2nd addition
10min HopVariety - 3rd addition

In this instance 60min is the total boil time. So you would go:

Wort is boiling, add 1st addition
Wait 30min, add 2nd addition
Wait 20min, add 3rd addition
Wait 10min, remove the hops

I recommend using a timer. There are different software timers out there that you can enter your addition times and it'll beep to let you know when to add them. In the hustle and bustle of brewday it is very helpful (especially if you like to drink while brewing).

Just for clarity I would like to add that normally recipes will say something like:

60min HopVariety - 1st addition
30min HopVariety - 2nd addition
10min HopVariety - 3rd addition

In this instance 60min is the total boil time. So you would go:

Wort is boiling, add 1st addition
Wait 30min, add 2nd addition
Wait 20min, add 3rd addition
Wait 10min, remove the hops

I recommend using a timer. There are different software timers out there that you can enter your addition times and it'll beep to let you know when to add them. In the hustle and bustle of brewday it is very helpful (especially if you like to drink while brewing).

I have never "removed" hops once added. At end of boil it is customary to do a whirlpool then cool and drain the wort leaving the hop trub behind as much as possible.

I have never "removed" hops once added. At end of boil it is customary to do a whirlpool then cool and drain the wort leaving the hop trub behind as much as possible.

You obviously do things differently than I do. I do whirlpool but I use hop bags, a plate chiller, and a pump. There's usually nothing left on the inside of the BK because my MT screen works pretty well but the small bits are either just below the pick-up tube or buoyant enough that they aren't effected by the whirlpool anyway. The hop bags work great for keeping stuff out of my pump head, lines, and plate chiller. Backflushing is obviously necessary but there's no reason to make the job any harder than it needs to be. The hop bag I use is pretty huge so I'm not concerned with under-utilization. Works pretty well all-in-all.

Edit: I could see where removing the hop bags might be confusing. I use a hop spider to continually add hops throughout the boil to the same bag. At the end of the boil I remove the hop spider which pulls out the bag and hops with it. It just gets in the way at the end and is no longer needed, so I pull it out.

Back