Hooking up dual tap for home brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrum33

Reaction score
Hey what's up? I have a kegerator that I am about to upgrade tonight from a single faucet to a double faucet. Currently, there is a 5 gall keg hooked up, carbonated, and pouring. My second full keg is in the fridge but hasn't been carbonated. I would like to carbonate the second keg asap so I can have both kegs flowing out of my new dual tap system at the same time. What should I do? I was thinking that I would have to remove the ready keg from the gas for two days while I force carbonate the new keg at 30 psi. After the two days I could connect the first keg and reduce the pressure down to operating pressure. Is this the fastest method??? I know of the shaking method, but I would like to avoid that.

Two days might be enough to force carbonate, depends on the style & how cold the keg is. It would be plenty for most stouts and porters. You will need to get a CO2 splitter eventually. Swapping one line between several kegs is a pain.

That double Co2 regulator looks awesome. Has anyone used one and does anyone know where do get one cheaper.?

I use a dual regulator just like the one in the link and yeah, that's about what they cost. Another alternative is to just use a CO2 splitter to run two kegs, but then you're stuck running them both at the same pressure and you'll still be playing the swap game.

Save your pennies, it's worth it!

Here's a picture with one keg out to show the regulators and yes I know, I need to get gas soon!

:mug:

I am getting the co2 splitter with the dual tap tower. That is not a concern. I will be able to have both lines running at the same time. I just want to know what I should do to carbonate the second keg. I want to know if I have to take the carbonated keg off of the air when I am force carbonating the second keg.

Oh, that's an even easier question. Yes, take off the carbonated keg otherwise you'll over carbonate it. I usually run at 20-30 psi depending on style overnight then cut it down to serving pressure for a week for perfectly carbonated kegs every time.

:cross:

Spyk'd said:
Oh, that's an even easier question. Yes, take off the carbonated keg otherwise you'll over carbonate it. I usually run at 20-30 psi depending on style overnight then cut it down to serving pressure for a week for perfectly carbonated kegs every time.

If you're going to wait a week before you touch your keg, don't bother at all with setting it at 30 psi. A week is more than long enough to carbonate at your regular serving pressure.

I don't plan on leaving it untouched for a week. I plan on taking the carbonated keg off of pressure for the two days that I am force carbonating the new keg. Then I am going to lower presure and reattach the first keg and enjoy both! This will be fine right?

Not to hijack this thread...but. You need to force carbonate at cold temps correct? What if I just kegged my beer but didnt want to carbonate yet. Could I let the warm keg sit at room temp for a couple weeks uncarbonated?

I just put both my kegs at 12-14psi to carbonate and serve... After about 2 weeks I dropped the pressure on both to about 10ish and both worked fine.. at 30psi you will be putting the CO2 volume way up to about 4.0! I wouldn't run that high because you don't want to over carbonate your beer.

gonzo - you do no HAVE to have it cold to force carbonate it.. It doesn't work nearly as well warm but can be done. If you kegged it and don't have room in the fridge you can leave it in the keg for a few weeks with no problems. (Just the same as sitting in the secondary) I would pressurize it though. It will both keep a good seal and it will allow it to start to carbonate.

It will only be hooked up at 30 psi for 2 days to carbonate, then turned down to serve. I have been using this method for months now and the beer is perfect. This is a well documented way of carbonating beer. Check out - *********** or www.leaners.com

gonzoflick said:
Not to hijack this thread...but. You need to force carbonate at cold temps correct? What if I just kegged my beer but didnt want to carbonate yet. Could I let the warm keg sit at room temp for a couple weeks uncarbonated?

Yeah, like Sephro said. Definitely hit it with some CO2. It'll keep the lid tight, start getting it carbonated and keep it from becoming oxygenated. I'd hit it with about 20 psi.

mtrum33 said:
It will only be hooked up at 30 psi for 2 days to carbonate, then turned down to serve. I have been using this method for months now and the beer is perfect. This is a well documented way of carbonating beer. Check out - *********** or www.leaners.com
I just searched byo and all I could find was an article saying why you should never use that method.... That second link :confused:
http://***********/mrwizard/1306.html
That's what I found.. at the bottom it talks about not doing it with that method..
Can you link me to where you have read about this??

Mikey said:
If you're going to wait a week before you touch your keg, don't bother at all with setting it at 30 psi. A week is more than long enough to carbonate at your regular serving pressure.

Ok, three things.

First, it has not been my experience that all beer styles fully carbonate at their serving pressures within a week. Case in point, I serve my stouts, porters, browns, or anything else with alot of dextrins in it at about 3 psi. That would take about two weeks to properly carbonate (for my tastes) without doing anything else to it.

Secondly, by running 20-30 psi overnight you can "technically" drink it the following day. I was just recommending the extra week to condition.

Thirdly, when I don't take the time to run the higher psi at the beginning, the beer will only carbonate to a certain extent during the week of conditioning, but never as fully as the aforementioned method of mine, which as stated, perfectly carbonates the beer everytime. The set it and forget it method to me is not as consistent; and yes I can tell the difference.

Just trying to share something that works for me with the people!;)

Since you already have a regulator with a tank press guage, it looks like you could get the economy guage and put that infront of the one you already have.
I was trying to figure out if I could run difrent pressures off one tank, and it looks like this is how I'll go.

Spyk'd said:
I use a dual regulator just like the one in the link and yeah, that's about what they cost. Another alternative is to just use a CO2 splitter to run two kegs, but then you're stuck running them both at the same pressure and you'll still be playing the swap game.

:mug:
Why would you have to play the swap game if you are using a splitter?

bikebryan said:
Why would you have to play the swap game if you are using a splitter?

Well, maybe not exactly the swap game per se, but you'd have to disconnect your first keg of already kegged brew while force carbonating the second keg that was just racked, lest you over carbonate the first keg, which would already be carbonated.

Also, you can run two different beers at their appropriate serving pressures individually with two regs.

Spyk'd said:
Just trying to share something that works for me with the people!;)

As was I...........

There is an ongoing 'myth' in the hobby that states that beer will not carbonate properly unless:

1) you pressurize the crap (30 psi) out of it for a few days

and/or

2) you shake the crap out of it to 'mix' the CO2.

Although either of the above statements will produce carbonated beer, neither step is mandatory in achieving it.

I was presenting my method, which is to simply attach the CO2 line at final serving pressure and wait a week. If your experience is that it takes slightly longer than a week with certain beer styles, then so be it.:mug:

Back