Hooked on Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
I have fallen in love with Pilsner Malt as my base malt. I just started lagering this past winter and used it for my base malt in those beers, but being my first time at the lagering process, the beers were good but in need of improvement and couldnt really assess them at a malt level (if that makes sense).

I used pilsner malt instead of 2 row as my base for an American wheat (A beer I have brewed multiple times) and I am hooked. Overall, the beer tastes more clean. There is no sign of husk flavors, which I have detected (very mild) in the past on occasions. I just feel as if with this brew, I have reached that benchmark of "making a good beer better".

I plan on replacing 2 row on some pales and IPAs I have brewed several times to see if they turn out for the better as well.

I am wondering if this is just me, or does anyone else have similar experiences... Maybe I have not researched enough and more people than I think use pil malt for a base with ales. Either way, I'm excited to see what my next few brews have in store.:mug:

You're not the only one.

If I'm making a beer with significant specialty malts, or a lot of hops, I'll use standard GWM pale malt.

But if I'm making something that's a very light-colored grain bill, Belgian, or in general a continental style, I prefer Pils. I find US pale malt can be just a bit bland, and I prefer the taste of the beers I've used belgian pilsner in more than the ones I've used US pale.

Yards uses pilsen as the base for their pale and it is one of my favorites. I did a pale using pilsen and really like the results. I like to use English pale as a base for my pales which results in a nice flavor that if maltier. However, if I am going got something cleaner and brighter pilsen works great!

Back